I was given rabies vaccine shots many, many years ago after being bitten by a cat.

I was two years old at the time. In 1953 the vaccine was administered by giving a shot in the stomach every day for seven days.  I am wondering if the vaccine administered that way can stay in your system and cause physical problems later in life. I have recently had very sharp stinging pains in my legs after a warm shower.  Lab tests show that my B-12 levels are normal.  Not sure why I am suspicious of the rabies vaccine from so many years ago, but have always wondered about long term effects.
There is no evidence showing that a vaccine received 60+ years ago could suddenly cause problems.  The half-life of any components in the vaccine would not be more than 2 weeks, so issues would show up very soon after vaccination - not 60 years later.  Personally, I'd drop the notion that the vaccine caused issues so that you can focus on getting to the root of the real problem.
Here's a link showing potential side effects, but all of those would have occurred during treatment, or very soon thereafter: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/rabies-vaccine-intramuscular-route/side-effects/drg-20069868

You are reading content posted in the Immunization Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments