Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Post-nephrectomy..

Hello...

I was diagnosed in 2000 with hypertension. At the time that it was diagnosed my bp was 200/120. I was put on medications. Because of the family history of hypertension as well as both of my parents' premature death caused by myocardial infarctions(before the age of 54), I was really afraid. I got me a dog, took up walking(a mile a day, every day), and completely changed my diet. I dropped from 140 pounds to 103 pounds. I am very thin, do not smoke, drink or do illegal drugs.

Still, the bp continued to go up.

I started seeing a cardiologist, Dr. Eugene Killeavy in Merritt Island, Florida(Brevard Cardiology Associates), who had tests done on me(on suspicion that I had a blockage)..and it turned out that I had a 99% stenosis of the left main renal artery. Dr. Killeavy really knows his stuff. Before I met Dr. K. I never knew that my kidneys were directly linked to my blood pressure.

In 2001 I had a stent put in my renal artery. It seemed to help with the bp for awhile. But then in the Spring of 2005 I started having left flank pain. I went to my PCP(Dr. Leon Cohen), who immediately had me undergo an ultrasound. The test revealed that my left kidney was more then twice the size of a regular kidney. I was like.. "Not again". :(

I was sent to a urologist who ran a battery of tests on me. I was then diagnosed with left URETERPELVIC JUNCTION OBSTRUCTION WITH SEVERE HYDRONEPHROSIS. The kidney was eventually drained using a catheter that ran from my kidney to my bladder. It drained very fast. A few weeks later follow-up tests revealed that the kidney stopped functioning altogether. The bp started skyrocketing and I started going in to SVT(supraventricular tachychardia). At that point I really wondered if I was going to make it to the surgery date.

I was in the ambulance and hospital 3 times in the month of September; with kidney, bp, heart and asthma problems. My doctor told me that if the kidney did not come out that the bp would continue to go up and I would eventually die of either a M.I. or a stroke. My awesome surgeon, Dr.Cohen performed a left nephrectomy via an open surgery on Halloween, 2005. It was done at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Florida. I will be forever grateful for Dr. Cohens saving my life.

What do you think my prognosis is?  What are the chances of it happening to my right kidney? I would like to meet others who have also had a nephrectomy, and/or hydronephrosis. How did you deal with the pain and stress? How are you doing now?

Thank You,

Donna :)
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem