Liver Disorders Community

Raised Bilirubin levels otherwise normal LFT

Hi all, I am a 36 year old male in good health & feeling well. I have been drinking quite heavily since I was around 18. I have quit for periods of months on several occasions. This June I decided to quit again. I had a liver function test & everything came back as normal except my Bilirubin which was 26 umol/l (normal 0-23 umol/l) I quit drinking & had another blood test a month later & it was still 26 umol/l. I was told that this should probably go down on my next blood test. I was scheduled to have a blood test in another month & stupidly 3 days before I had the blood test I had 3 days of drinking, about 20 units of Alcohol a day. I have just had a call from my doctor saying my Bilirubin has risen to 36 umol/l. I feel well, no yellowing of the skin or eyes although I feel a little tired at times. Should I be concerned? Also I am taking Disulfiram to help me quit drinking. Thanks.
COMMUNITY LEADER
No reason to be concern since you are under care with your doctor. Your liver is likely fatty and congested from the drinking, and this will take a while to resolve. Please stay on your non drinking plan and your liver should make a complete recovery! Take care and be strong.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem