Liver Disorders Community

what does my test ( Just High total brilubin) mean?

Hi Dear Friends,

I just did a medical test for my liver, all my liver enzyme (SGPT, SGOT and ...) are normal unless my bilirubin test. my total brilubin is elevated although my direst brilubin is slightly elevated and is near normal. may you please explain me what can happen and what may cause it?

Thank you
It could be Gilbert's Syndrome.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert%27s_syndrome

"Gilbert's syndrome, pronounced 'Jeel-Bears', often shortened to GS, is the most common hereditary cause of increased bilirubin, and is found in up to 5% of the population (though some gastroenterologists maintain that it is closer to 10%). The main symptom is otherwise harmless jaundice which does not require treatment, caused by elevated levels of unconjugated bilirubin in the bloodstream (hyperbilirubinemia).

The source of this hyperbilirubinemia is reduced activity of the enzyme glucuronyltransferase which conjugates bilirubin and some other lipophilic molecules. Conjugation renders the bilirubin water-soluble, after which it is excreted in bile into the duodenum....."

Mike
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem