Aa
A
A
A
Close
Lyme Disease Community
2.11k Members

Aphasia

Aphasia is a communication disorder that is fairly common to some Lyme people. (Not all!)

It usually isn't as cut and dried as the definitions of indicate. For instance, I can write fairly fluently and get the right word(s) out through my finger tips---- but in everyday life, talking to someone, I use the word "thingy" a lot. (grin)
In my case it's nouns that suffer the most so 'thingy' is often appropriate but wouldn't be if I couldn't remember the name of a person. Giggle.

1. Anomic aphasia. With anomic aphasia, the person has word-finding difficulties. This is called anomia. Because of the difficulties, the person struggles to find the right words for speaking and writing.

Read:
"Distinct Pattern of Cognitive Impairment Noted in Study of Lyme Patients" by Marian Rissenberg, PhD and found on a web site with the name Anapsid in it. (Yep!)

Wiki also has a very good page on anomic aphasia.

The following type of aphasia is possible but I haven't known many PWLs (People With Lyme) with this more severe type but I'm sure there must be some.

2. Expressive aphasia (non-fluent): With expressive aphasia, the person knows what he or she wants to say yet has difficulty communicating it to others. It doesn't matter whether the person is trying to say or write what he or she is trying to communicate.

Turette syndrome may sometime present if the PWL has lesions in the 'right' portions of the brain. I've only known one person with Turette syndrome and don't know if he had Lyme or not.

I said earlier that I could type fluently---- and I can, but the last few years have brought this on for me: I will intend to type the word 'thinker' and will type in 'thinking'. Vice versa and global. Because spell check won't catch them and I don't always----- that explains the weird wording in some of my posts.

0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Infectious Diseases Answerers
1415174 tn?1453246703
CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste
Fend off colds and the flu with these disease-fighting foods