breathing issues

my best friend had a double mastectomy and aquired lymphodema problems all over her body. but the most disturbing symptom she has is pulmonary. She has a severe problem with shortness of breath. just walking to the bathroom she can hardly speak. Its not her heart because she had a heart cath and her heart looks great. Anyone out there experience anything like this.
Hi!
Shortness of breath can be due to a cause either in heart or lung or due to anemia. Angina, heart attack and pulmonary embolism (clot in lung) should be ruled out first. If there is wheezing, asthma is likely. Other causes are mitral valve problems, pulmonary hypertension, anemia, hyperventilation syndrome or psychological factors. A detailed and comprehensive investigation will be required including EKG, Chest X-ray, blood test for anemia, maybe CT scan of chest, BP recording etc. Please consult your friend's doctor to start with.  
Take care!
I am  newly diagnosed lymphedema patient with both lower legs involved.  I, too, suffer from shortness of breath.  It is thought that the cause of my lymphedema is a partial knee replacement surgery of the right knee.

All other medical causes for the shortness of breath mentioned by Dr. Mathur have been ruled out.  I personally feel the shortness of breath is directly related to the lymphedema.   When I have less swelling I breathe easier..

hae een ruled out.
I have EXACTLY the same shortness of breath related to lymphodema due to a total knee replacement. I also developed high blood pressure after the surgery. I am ONLY breathless when my knee swells badly. NO doctor will listen to what I am trying to say. They say it can't be linked. I am very frustrated.

I hope you get some answers

You are reading content posted in the Lymphedema Community

New study links cell phones to slightly increased cancer risk. Should you be concerned?
The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.