Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
1949260 tn?1325167077

CONFUSED

.i went to the doctor and came back with more questions then answers. he said my kidney function was .08. i asked what stage my disease is and he said a 21 yr old stage. i was asking him how it happened and he was talking about my blood pressure and drew me a diagram of the brain and said the outer part is the medulla and said the disease is located in the lower back part of your brain. and he said something about pieced breaking off and trailing to my kidneys or through my blood stream? i dont know if he meant that happened in the womb when the disease was formed, or he was saying if my blood pressure got too high that would happen? i am just confused and i might have to talk to him about this... i wrote it down but it doesnt make any sense now that i have re-read it. thanks for you help though!!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
592774 tn?1325393742
I never heard of a kidney function of .08 so I can't help you there. If the number was 0.8 it might be a creatinine level. That would be a normal level.
I never heard of MSK being from a part of the brain breaking off. The medulla of the kidney is where the birth defect is, it has nothing to do with the brain's medulla. It is a birth defect, there when your kidneys were first formed. No one knows how or why it happens.
I would worry from your doctor's explanation that he was just guessing. Can you get a second opinion? Was the doctor a urologist or a nephrologist? Best wishes on getting the answers you need.

From the National Kidney and Urologic Disease Information Clearinghouse:
Medullary sponge kidney (MSK) is a birth defect of the tubules—tiny tubes inside the kidneys. In a normal kidney, urine flows through these tubules as it is being formed. In MSK, tiny sacs called cysts form in the medulla—the inner part of the kidney—creating a sponge-like appearance. The cysts keep urine from flowing freely through the tubules.

MSK is present at birth but most cases do not appear to be inherited. Problems caused by MSK include hematuria, or blood in urine; kidney stones; and urinary tract infections (UTIs). But these problems do not usually appear until the ages of 30 to 40. MSK affects about 1 person per 5,000 to 20,000 people in the United States.1 Researchers have reported that up to 20 percent of people who form kidney stones have MSK.2 MSK rarely leads to more serious problems, such as total kidney failure.
Helpful - 0
592774 tn?1325393742
Here is a page that might give you more information. I got permission to give you this link from Cheryl. http://www.squidoo.com/medullary-sponge-kidney
I would have given it to you last night, but I did not think I was allowed to. Please read more about MSK and you will see that your doctor probably did not know anything about MSK. If you go back to see him you can bring him the correct information. Best of luck.
Helpful - 0
489228 tn?1291531454
I agree with Nancy that your doctor's explaination is way off! The site she listed can help you and there are some great articles in the healthpages here as well that can answer more of your questions.  We also have an MSK group on facebook that many of us belong to as well.
Helpful - 0
168348 tn?1379357075
COMMUNITY LEADER
WELCOME to our Community!
Helpful - 0
1949260 tn?1325167077
thanks everyone i am going to get a second opinion soon, i am doing okay. but everytime my stomach hurts and i have the painful urge to push something out, i  am worried its a kidney stone. i know the symptons of kidney stones and i have still not had one. i will join on fb thanks again everyone :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community

Top Digestive Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem