Weightloss

Well, I was originally diagnosed with nephrocalcinosis, but no reason was given. My new nephrologist is almost positive that I may have MSK, and we'll be doing a second CT scan to get an answer, but my question is: Can this disease cause weight loss? I am on a low sodium, and reduced protein diet , so my caloric intake *might* be a bit low (I don't watch calories, just sodium/protein), but since March when I first was diagnosed and told to eat a healthier diet, I've lost close to 45lbs (I was 240lbs, so i did have some to burn) with little workout involved. I was sitting around 200lbs for a few weeks, and now all of a sudden I'm losing weight again (nearly .5lb a day) and I can't really think of why. Can my diet really be causing this much drop? Or is this a more serious sign of my kidneys possibly gaining CKD?

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I will inquire with my nephro about the weight loss and see what she thinks considering it doesn't seem to match MSK.

and I'll gladly switch your weight gain with my kidneys turning into stone ;)
Helpful - 0
I have the opposite....I had to stop working and have gained a good 60lbs.My diet is strict and sodium too and my doctor says it is just part of the disease. I am devastated at the change in my looks along with the daily pain and mess I am dealing with...I would love to have your issue
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community