Been suffering from short term memory loss after over using Ritalin

Hello dear community,

Long story short:

A) I had strong memory before i ever took Ritalin just sometimes de-motivated because subjects were boring, B) I took diagnosis and they didn't see that i've had any attention disorder around during 2002.

1) I Don't have any attention disorder but i occasionally took Ritalin from a friend that has one, it helped me tremendously in exams when i used it at a moderate and reasonable level.

2) I used it at a moderate level in the past during 2011 and 2012 but began abusing it during 2013.

3) Eventually at fall of 2013 i spent 3 days without sleep and took 3 or so ritalin pills on my first day then 7 or so on my 2nd day and over 10 on my 3rd day due to headaches, i didn't get red eyes and no one noticed i didn't sleep (photographed myself), i did not expect any long term effects.  

4) Afterwards I began losing my strong short memory and would constantly forget things and lost focus on important issues in my life, not long after i started having occasional blackouts where i would lose my track of time and would have time-lapse in my life where i would completely forget seconds, minutes, hours and days.

5) Noticed i had a problem but didn't tell anyone because i am afraid and have been doing lots of fitness/exercising and do 'brain training' and spreading as many notes and writing down everything i can.

6) Currently i can barely remember anything vividly from 2013 but i can remember most of 2012 and prior and bits after July/August 2014.

My question: Am i convincing myself this is the cause of Ritalin or could it be something else, what should i do and who should i seek just to make sure everything is okay?.

Please help.
----------

Detail:

I am a person that wasn't diagnosed with any attention disruption disorder and never had prescription for Ritalin, i obtained the drug through a friend to help me improve my grades in college - i didn't have an issue with it in 2010, 2011 or 2012 because i never abused it - i listened to him and followed the guidelines never took more than two Ritalin and mostly i never had to take more than 1 Ritalin pill a day while studying or before an exam.

Somehow during 2013 i stumbled across a horrible course i could not for whatever reason enjoy and ended up having to write a research paper about a subject i couldn't careless about, i procrastinated for months without using Ritalin and then finally caved in and took it from my friend for 2 days i took a small amount and finished my paper, i did not sleep that day and kept taking it - this turned into a Habbit anytime i wanted to write a paper/exam and was de-motivated i'd just keep taking Ritalin without sleeping and studying all night..

I noticed my short term memory was getting effected so i did some 'self brainwashing' training to improve it and once Ritalin got out of my system i didn't have too many problems, fast forward to winter i had to write another paper i didn't care about - this time it was hard, i spent not two days but 3 entire days (74 hours) without sleep, on the first day i took 3 pills, on the second around 6 or 7, on the 3rd i just went crazy because i was getting headaches every few short hours and only Ritalin would make them go away - i ate/showered/changed clothes every day and would have to constantly use the bathroom and then have to take another ritalin pill because i'd feel like i lost my concentration after i would defecate.... The 3rd i must of taken at least 10 pills.

I didn't make much of it because i thought it will just run out of my system but since then my cognitive skills have greatly deminished, i have major issues with my short term memory and at this current date (jan 22, 2015) i can't for the love of god draw any coherent memories from the year 2013, i can remember 2011 and 2012 but my memories aren't as clear as they were before i over used Ritalin.. I used to have a memory thats able to remember catalog numbers, article pages, remember text i summarized from memory - now i cant.. I have difficulty remembering things i do daily

and finally i started having black outs where i would have a time duration just completely lost and being unable to recall it - seconds, minutes, hours, days and sometimes weeks... Its horrifying i would think i am going to do something then i'd start walking/doing it but then just my memory turns off and then i snap back and i am unable to remember what i am doing, how i got there, why when and how long i been doing my activity i cant recall the activity at all (at one point i was walking towards the university then i just find myself at the other side of the city with no clue why i went there and how i went there and how long it took - again since then  i use notes to remind myself of basically everything and i record with my phone audio and play it back to remind myself.. ..  

I did lots of 'brain training' and i have plastered my apartment with notes reminding myself of my daily tasks and the important issues i keep just forgetting the short term things....

What should i do? is this real? OR am i just making myself believe is this real? Can taking way too much ritalin without sleep for 3 days seriously cause such effects and if so are they permanent and what should i do? which medical personal should i seek?  

Please help me!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a medication of the amphetamine class -- similar to methamphetamine.

Ritalin is known to cause memory loss, in high doses. Taken long term, it will cause long-term memory loss. It can cause brain damage. It increases your risk of stroke and heart disease.

You have a serious substance abuse problem. Seek help.
Helpful - 0
I'd seek a Psychiatrist as they are also Mds.
I take Vyvance. It helps me. Maxy
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Memory Loss Community

15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area