Men's Health Community

Low Testosterone

I am 30 years old, Male, 6ft4 and weight 220lbs. I have a bodyfat percentage of about 18%.

I have long suspected that I suffer from low testosterone, partly due to very poor muscle gains despite working very hard, but mainly because I have suffered from low mood, low energy and low libido for years.

I have had 3 blood tests done over 2 years and all 3 tests came back with a testosterone result of around 11 nmol / 320 Ng/dl.

But my UK NHS doctor thought that level was fine and wasn’t that helpful. But I am not convinced.

But to be fair, i didn’t discuss my symptoms and was mainly there for another reason and just requested a blood test.

Do you think that I should go back and have a proper discussion? Is my testosterone level low?

Hard to say what is going on. To be honest, your testosterone level is inside of normal.  Normal levels are 280 to 1,100 ng/dl's.  You are sort of on the low end but not below.  Let me ask you about this --  could you have a low level of depression?

I always think a second opinion makes sense when you have a worry.  So, in this case, I'd consider it. and yes, mention your symptoms.

Here is some information on increasing testosterone naturally.  https://www.webmd.com/men/features/can-you-boost-testosterone-naturally#1  I've also heard eating protein, carb and essential fatty acids can help increase levels.

I know that isn't much help.  But it's a start.
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
for a 30 something man, 320 is very low.  Most insurances would call anything below 400 as hypogondal for ANY age.  I would expect a total T level for a 30 something to be well over 600.

Remember that a person loses about 1% of total T for every year between the age of 40 to 60.  So it is doubtful that things will improve much by doing nothing.

18% body fat is pretty good shape.  The more overweight a person is, the more fat they have, the more of Testosterone is converted to estrogen.  I doubt you have this pr oblem at 18% body fat.

you need a full screening, to include LH and FSH as well as SHBG and total and free Testosterone.  That will help you know what next options there are.

Get tested for thyroid to include TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 just to rule out thyroid as being a contributing factor.