Men's Health Community

Should I worry about a painless bulge at the base of my penis?

Several weeks ago I noticed a bulge at the base of my penis, kind of above the testicles. It is like an extension of the penis (most noticeable when erect), but I don't recall it being so prominent before.

It is also possible that the bottom side of the penis is always slightly firmer than it used to be, it never seems to soften quite as much anymore.

I first noticed it several weeks ago, around when I first had sex. It has remained the same and painless.

I am extremely reluctant to go to the doctor because I have checked things like this before and they said it was normal and I'm sick of this stuff. Any advice much appreciated.
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
I'd also wonder if it were a varicocele. It sounds like it's not soft enough or movable enough, and probably not even in the right place, but you might as well be sure.
Just to update this: went to the doctor and he seemed pretty sure it was just my urethra. Not sure why it might be a little larger than previously, but he didn't think it was anything to worry about.
That's good news. He didn't think it was swollen or anything? (I guess you would know if it was inflamed.)
Yeah the doctor seemed fairly confident it was not swollen, but that I had possibly just randomly noticed it. Anyhow, he said I could wait a month and check again, and come back in if there's a change.