Aa
A
A
A
Close
Multiple Sclerosis Community
9.23k Members

Copaxone 40mg Severe reactions

Newly diagnosed with MS. On copaxone 40mg. First 3 shots were fine. Shots 4,5 about three hours after giving the injection my entire body starts aching, extreme chills (whole body jumping and teeth chattering), muscles cramping, fever (100.9-102.0), hands burning, headache. Reported it to Shared Solutions and they acted familiar with these symptoms. My neuro wasn't and said to try zyrtec and tylenol prior to injection. Also ran it by another neuro and he wasn't familiar with these symptoms. Last night I did the zyrtec and tylenol and same thing happened 3 1/2 hours after injection. It's so intense and painful. I also have Lupus and this reaction reminds me of a lupus flare. I don't think I can do this shot and I really want it to work. I'm nursing my baby and don't have any options besides this. Has anyone else experienced these extreme side effects?
1 Responses
667078 tn?1316000935
It is not uncommon to have reactions at this point of the injections. Your body is saying I do not make this stuff what is it. I have not heard of anything that extreme but it might also be the Lupus. The question is is it Lupus or just a reaction to the Copaxone. If it keeps happening of course you can't take it. You really do need to work with your doctor. Your doctor might feel like you have no choice but to be on the Copaxone as well. What about the other dose of copaxone?

As you say the copaxone might be triggering a Lupus flair. I guess It all comes down to risk/benefit. There might be too much risk for benefit.

I do chemo and I have to put up with really bad side effects. I have to decide how much I can take. My risk is death so I put up with a lot.

Going with no DMD is risky. The whole point is to slow progression. But if you can't take it until you stop breast feeding and can try another one that is what will have to happen.

Alex
Top Neurology Answerers
987762 tn?1331027953
Australia
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease