Multiple Sclerosis Community

Still dizzy 22 mos later...

I posted my story here back in August of 08 to get opinions and thought I would try again in case someone has had some luck with a treatment for non-specific dizziness/slight imbalance/tipsy hungover feeling that I have had consistently... day in and day out... since the birth of my daughter in May 2008. Here is a long history/explanation & I look forward to any comments, thoughts, recommendations, etc etc. I haven't been diagnosed yet with any condition, but I am exploring MS and Lyme as two possible explanations.

Abbreviated Medical History

1) Birth to July 2003 – Healthy with no issues
2) July 2003 – Admitted to hospital for high fever and vomiting , in hospital for 5 nights and released without diagnosis after having multiple labs and tests
run. Infectious Disease Specialist consulted with no diagnosis. Abdominal CT Scan showed small areas of hyperdensity in the calices
bilaterally raising the question of medullary sponge kidney or other such process as possibility. Clinical correclation advised. Labwork results:
RBC low, HGB L, HCT L, Neut H, Lymph L, Neut ABS H, Urea Nitrogen Low 2, CMV IgG ISR 1.15 (range 0-.9) Positive, Negative for Malaria.
3) Sept 2003 - Started seeing my PCP, Dr. Chaio Yung Lie at Healthcore Physicians Group in Dallas because of muscle twitches and spasms
-Labwork done on 9/2/2003 showed abnormal PTT 62.3 secs (range 0-52), PTT-LA Mix was normal at 45.6 (range 0 – 52), Factor V Leiden
was Normal , Protein S Free high at 151 (56-124), Protein S Total was 96 Normal (58-150), Homocysteine was normal at 9.3 (4.6-12.4)
4) Oct 2003 -Labwork done on 10/18/2003 Protein S Functional S was normal at 143 (range 60-145), Brain MRI performed and results showed numerous
tiny punctuate foci of T2 hyperintensity, no abnormal contrast enhancement, no abnormal diffusion-weighted signal, brain otherwise normal in
signal and size; Normal flow voids are present in the major intracranial arteries; IMPRESSION: Numerous punctate white matter lesions. May
represent microvascular process (migraine, hypertension, ischemia) or a demyelinating disease. Normal cerebral MR venogram.
5) May 2004 -Saw Hematologist who re-ran labs and said I was clear to go on birth control, but recommended baby aspirin on airline flights. Some abnormal
findings but they didn’t point them out to me. I figured this out summer 2008 with the help of my current hematologist.
6) Oct 2004 -10/28/04 another MRI with exact same findings of previous MRI in 2003; no significant changes; they were following up to previous abnormal
finding.
7) July 2005 -Delivered healthy baby boy via vaginal delivery with no complications and easy recovery.
8) Feb 2006 -MRI and MRV ordered b/c of some headaches, no significant change from previous MRI and MRVs performed in 2003 and 2004.
9) May 2008 -Emergency c-section due to my daughters hand being on her head (was induced for normal delivery two and ½ weeks early due to blood pressure starting to rise and borderline low amniotic fluid… induction didn’t progress b/c her hand was on her head; therefore, ending in a c-section). Immediately after being released from the hospital, I noticed the feeling of being a little dizzy/lightheaded/tipsy/hungover. Similar to being on a boat dock after a long day of deep sea fishing. Just a tiny bit off. I figured it was the pain medication. I was on Vicodin and 800mg Ibuprofen. I quickly weaned myself off of the pain pills because I was breastfeeding my daughter. Then the slight dizzy/lightheaded feeling was still constant. It has been constant since May 2008. Just the tiniest bit off. I can eat, drive, perform normal daily activities, just extremely frustrated at constantly feeling “hung over”. I had a tremendous amount of anxiety in the first months following my daughter’s birth, but have slowly gotten used to the idea I might be dizzy forever!
10) July 2008 -Neurologist tries to figure out my dizziness/vertigo and orders another MRI, MRV and MRA IMPRESSION: No significant change since the last MRI of 1/27/06; Several non-specific foci of increased T2/FLAIR signal abnormality scattered throughout the deep and subcortical white matter. Some of the possible etiologies include old microvascular ischemic disease in a patient with diabetes or hypertension, the sequela of migraine headaches, old injury, or an inflammatory process such as SLE or vasculitis. Not a typical pattern for MS. Small Pineal Gland Cyst. MRV IMPRESSION: Diminished signal within the left transverse sinus, left sigmoid sinus and left internal jugular vein as noted on the prior exam of 1/27/06. Probably secondary to congenital hypoplasia, however; dural sinus stenosis and/or distal occlusion of the left internal jugular vein is difficult to exclude.
11) August 2008 -Referred to Hematologist by my Neurologist b/c I have an abnormal PTT flag after 2 separate blood draws. These labs were run by my Neurologist trying to pinpoint a diagnosis for my dizzy/lightheadedness. He ran a ton of panels for autoimmune disorders (I have all my lab work if you would like to review). The only thing that came back abnormal was my aPTT. The new Hematologist, Dr. Trillo runs some additional blood clotting tests and makes a diagnosis of APS (Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome). Prescribes a full baby aspirin and Plavix once daily. I seek a 2nd opinion from a Hematologist at UT Southwestern, Dr. Froehlich. He re-runs many of the labs Dr. Trillo ordered and believes I do NOT have APS. He said my abnormal lab findings could be related to my recent pregnancy. However, he is going to monitor me every 3 months for an indeterminate time to make certain my labs correct and I am monitored. He is being cautious b/c I had an abnormal PTT finding after being hospitalized in 2003. Before seeing Dr. Froehlich, Dr. Trillo ordered an additional MRI, MRA and MRV. All findings matched my previous MRI findings but b/c he didn’t read my impressions from Dr. Gerhardts office ordered a CT Angiogram of the head and neck due to the congenital issue in my left internal jugular vein. Both CTAs w/wo contrast findings were normal. Also, Dr. Trillo found some thyroid nodules during an office examination. I have since seen an Endocrinologist and he believes they are non-specific and is not concerned about malignancy. Possible goiter. Will have follow-up in about 9 mos to 1 year. (Update: followup sono showed no change. Will repeat in year. If still normal, no more sonos).
**** More on next post******