Neurology Community

Antiphospholipid Syndrome

Thank you for your response. I'm the gentleman that has Antiphospholipid Syndrome. To those people that responded to my earlier question, "Is there anyone out there that has APS?"  It has caused me to have 8 blood clots, both veinous and arterial. I have had them in my legs, lungs, heart and brain. Has anyone else had anything to verify the APS?
                                                                                                           LeRoy
Thank you for your question. Anti-phospholipid syndrome is a coagulation disorder that causes blood clots in both arteries/veins. The syndrome occurs due to the production of antibodies against own cell membrane substance phospholipid. This can affect lower extremities (legs) to cause Deep Vein Thrombosis and symptoms could be pain, swelling/rise of temperature, and redness of the leg. Sometimes thrombosis can occur in heart & lung as well.  In addition, it can also cause pregnancy-related complications such as miscarriage, preterm delivery, or pre-eclampsia. Anticoagulant and heparin treatment are usually advised for sufferers. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

Take Care & Regards!!!