Neurology Forum

Asymptomatic Chiari Malformation I and SCUBA Diving?

I was diagnosed with chiari malformation 1 when I was 8 years ago by accident as I was having migranes (due to being placed on birth control). I had spinal MRIs done, which showed no problems, and I have had zero symptoms of this over the years. The migranes stopped with a change of birth control. My question is, does having this condition which was diagnosed so many years ago prevent me from learning to scuba dive?
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

Chiari malformation is an abnormal extension of the cerebellar tonsils (a structure in the posterior brain) through a hole in the skull called the foramen magnum. It is often asymptomatic or may present with headache, cranial nerve problems, sleep apnea, or hearing/vestibular problems. One associated feature with chiari’s is its association with syringomyelia, which is dilatation of the central canal in the spinal cord.

How severe is your Chiari? With many activities there are risks, but these risks are present even if you did not have a Chiari. I would suggest you discuss your concerns with your neurologist who can view your MRI.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good
luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease