Neurology Community

Brain life capacity.

I have heard that the human brain has the capacity for living hundreds of years but since we obviously die before that we can´t. What is the maximum capacity for a human brain in term of living years.
With the question i mean if we had the medical skills for the human body to keep living where is the cap for the brain?

excuse my bad english.
Hi there!

Well, medically we are yet to determine the cap of the brain cells/ neirons. Other than the inherent capacity to survive, survival of neurons and supporting cells would also depend on a few factors such as nutritional supply, trauma by external agents etc. While most cells in the body are pre-programmed to die, medically termed as apoptosis; neurons usually exhibit a longer lifespan unless the external environment is affected. While on one hand a few cells such as cancer cells become ‘immortal’ by bypassing apoptosis, most cells do not survive beyond a few years; these just being areas of current medical research.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!