Neurology Community

Can pain relief with Oxycodin bring on early Alzheimer's

Does Oxycontin simulate or can it bring on Alzheimer's? The reason is that a number of family members have had Alzheimer's disease.

My wife's mothers family has had several of them developed Alzheimer disease. Her mother is the last of 7 sisters 4 died with the disease and her mother this last and in a retirement home. My wife has been taking Oxycontin for sever back pain for years. I have noticed that her behavior when medicated is much the same as early onset Alzheimer's. None of her cousins who's mothers died with the disease have developed Alzheimer's however not either are using pain medication at my wife's level. She also has a Medtronics spinal simulator to help control the back pain.  
No. There is no relationship between taking opiates and developing Alzheimers. On the other hand opiates degrade mental function, sentience and the patient often goes into "la-la" land. When the opiate wears off they return to normal.