Neurology Community
45k Members

Myoclonus - elderly patient

Hi doctors -  My father is visiting me in the US and I noticed yesterday that he had a few "jerks" while sleeping.  Googling, I found that this could be a "myoclonus"!? Here are some key background info:

- He is 65 years old.  Had a heart attack and a by-pass surgery 15 years ago.
- He had a TIA (Transient ischemic attack) 2 years ago but recovered without any big damage.
- He is taking some medication for "blinking of eyes" after consulting with a neurologist

He is now having minor jerks while in DEEP sleep.  Is this a serious condition? He is heading back to India in about 3.5 weeks, so can it wait for him to go back and see his neurologist?  Or does he need immediate attention?  Apart from this, he is in good health (strict diet, walking/exercise, no drinking/smoking).  Would appreciate any guidance here.  Thanks.
Any comments, please?