Occasional white light flash in my peripheral vision

I am seeing an intermittant flash of white light in my left peripheral vision that looks like a moving circle or C.  I can see it with my eye open or closed and it seems to be worse at times.  Sometimes I don't notice it, but if I am in a dark ambient environment, I can sometimes see it flash every few seconds.  Sometimes I don't notice it at all.  I am 47 y.o. and it just started a few months ago.  Any ideas?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had started having the same problem with the C light show in both eyes. It moves with my eyes when they move. At this time my doctor is checking me for pituitary gland tumor. She said that it is possible that the tumor could be pressing on my optic nerve. She has done blood work and I should get the results back this week. They are then going to do an MRI if the blood works points to me having the tumor.
Helpful - 0
That sounds exactly like a migraine aura except you didn't get the pain of the headache.
Sorry this was meant for the comment below..
This morning, all of a sudden, I started seeing a backwards C that consisted of flashing lights that were in the form of tiny little squares like the "bytes" on our tv when our satellite is not connecting property.  When it started, it blocked the center of what I was reading, then the backwards C started moving to the right, the arc of the C started to get larger but less clear and after about 20 minutes, it disappeared all together.  I could see it with my eyes closed and I could see it when I covered one eye and then the other.
On a few occasions over the past year or so, I thought I was seeing a flash of light in my lower left peripheral vision but it happens so fast, when it happens I would wonder....did that really happen?  It doesn't sound like something that should be worrisome but I plan to call my eye Dr. today just  to be cautious.
Helpful - 0
Mines as if someone has been taking pictures or like a beam almost occurs inside and outside during the middle of the day during work. Not sure what this is...
Helpful - 0
I've been experiencing this for the past 6 months or so. I am only 19 years old however. Some times it seems as if I can see some white particles building up in the bottom of my peripheral vision when I close my eyes or enter very dark rooms, and it just lingers down there until it swoops around to the side of my peripheral vision in a C-motion. I also  get these flashes with my eyes open.

Does anyone happen to have any symptoms with their ears? Sometimes the outer rim of my left ear canal begins to itch really badly, it becomes extremely agitated, it starts to feel a bit hot. This seems to happen right before my white flashes begins to flare up in my vision.
Helpful - 0
I just wanted to say your condition sounds similar to mine, although I am not sure if it is the same or not. Mine happens in both eyes, although it started only in my left eye. I see a circle of light that moves up or down in my peripheral vision.

Anyways, let me know if you find out anything. I'm still waiting to see a neurologist.
Helpful - 0
The white flash is only at the bottom of my left eye. My right eye seems to be fine.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community