Occasional white light flash in my peripheral vision

I am seeing an intermittant flash of white light in my left peripheral vision that looks like a moving circle or C.  I can see it with my eye open or closed and it seems to be worse at times.  Sometimes I don't notice it, but if I am in a dark ambient environment, I can sometimes see it flash every few seconds.  Sometimes I don't notice it at all.  I am 47 y.o. and it just started a few months ago.  Any ideas?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have been having these flashing lights on and off for years, it is almost pretty if it were not so scary. Sometimes there is pain sometimes not, sometimes nausea but not always. I am fairly certain what it is for me and reading your comments above I think some of you may have the same issue. I have a lot of back and neck issues and if I try to stretch my neck, relax my shoulders and slide my head from side to side slowly and hold the stretch, and do the same back and front, I can feel the tension behind my eye ease and the slight whistley whine(anyone else hear a whistle whine) start to lessen. As I started to write this I could not see very well, the light was quite intrusive, now after stretching it is almost gone.
Check your posture, see if there is any pressure on your spine or neck, rotate your head . I hope it helps you as it does me 8-)
Helpful - 0
Thank you mumt521. I don't see the flashes constantly, only when I move my eyes quickly and look up. The same for those grey shadow. I only see them when I move my eyes quickly up and down or horizontal. No pain. I did see grey dots a few weeks before and then they were gone. All I see now is a few grey dots here and there. I got very depressed for a few days thinking the worse. I've been thru some other health issues that have been resolved but it's always scary when something new comes up and I have no idea what it is. I'll be 50 soon. I still want to go get it checked just to make sure.
Helpful - 0
Forgot to mention, the flash is in the shape of the half of a new moon. My vision is fine and not blurry.
Helpful - 0
I see the strobe light-ish Image in my peripheral vision but I am only 12? Is it ok that it's THAT abnormally early?
Helpful - 0
I am 62.  tripped on a piece of equipment and knocked my head pretty hard, on the left side.  a day later and since, i have been seeing a white ball of light in my left eye that floats from the bottom left corner of my left eye upwards. sometimes it flashes blue. I see it every 10 to 15 min.  I have seen an opthomologist.  He says he never heard of such thing.  after being dilated, and checked for a very long time, he could find no abnormality at all.  I was afraid of retinal detachment, but there was no evidence of this.   if anyone can tell me what this is... I'd be very grateful.  it is annoying and a curiosity.
Helpful - 0
I don't know if you are too young to have that but do get it checked out.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community