Avatar universal

Right Temple

My husband has a headache in his right temple for over three weeks now.  At first he wasn't sure if it was sinus related (although he did not have any sinus issues), so he used OTC sinus medication, but to no avail.  He  used hot/cold compresses, steam, massage, you name it, but this headache will not go away.  His GP has scheduled a Head CT scan w/o contrast.  Should he also be having an MRI or MRA done?  I am just wanting to make sure that the CT is an all encompassing test where they can see everything related to sinuses, clots, tumors, venous issues, etc. I have had a few medical procedures, and understand that certain tests screen for certain things.  By ordering just a CT scan it sounds as if his GP is looking for something specific, and by not order the other tests it sounds like he is ruling other things out, does that sound plausible?  Also, he did not order lab work.  Shouldn't this have been done as well, or not necessarily?  (Remember, I am the wife, so I am being over-protective).

Thanks for your time.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1491910 tn?1288484756
should order lab work after CT is performed if nothing comes up then do lab i might suggest urine test maybe a really bad kidney infection tht may be spreading god bless
Helpful - 0
997898 tn?1303734864
it's just my humble opinion, but i believe your gp is on the right track with the ct...it nothing shows, he will nost likely order blood work and maybe refer him to see an ent or neurologist...good luck and let us know how he makes out!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Thank you for the encouragement. He had the scan tonight, should receive results next week...
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Hi there.  Pain on right temple could need exclusion of migraines, temporal arteritis, cerebral aneurysm, a brain tumor, cerebrovascular hemorrhage and hence would need an MRI and MRA.
Your doctor may not have wanted to order all investigations at a go. He might have wanted to rule out certain things on CT scan and the rest options later if it was inconclusive.
Blood workup is not required before an imaging result shows up some abnormality.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Helpful - 0
397460 tn?1268533736
Hi. You didnt mention your husbands age. If he is over 50yrs, get his dr to do an ESR sed rate tests.
Its a simple test that can be done in the drs office.
That will get the ball rolling.
I was diagnoses with TA (Temporal Arteritis) a few years ago.
If you need any help , drop me a line. Cath278.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease