Neurology Community

Scuba Diving after Concussion

I was recently (10 Oct 2015) in a car collision where I was in the passenger seat and received a pretty bad concussion.  I was taken to the hospital where my wound was sewn up and I've already posted another question asking about the scaring itself.

My main question here is how long I should be waiting before going scuba diving again as scuba diving of course involves increased pressures which I've been told dont mix well with concussions.  

I should be able to upload pictures of my most recent CT scan as soon as the hospital finally gets around to sending it to me, though that may take a few days.  

What are general thoughts regarding scuba diving after a concussion?  

How long do I safely really need to wait before going diving again?
I believe you should wait another month or two at least. Partly because of the date you said you had your accident, October 2015. That is still a month away. Just looking at your head I would assume that you suffered a pretty bad concussion. The longer you wait for your brain to heal the better off you will be. The safest and best thing to do is ask your doctor this question, because he/she knows the damage that was done.

If you do decide to go without getting a thumbs up from your doctor please keep the dives shallow and as always go with a dive buddy.