Avatar universal

Temporarily but as completely as possible cut off nerve signals in the fingers?

Yes, this is a very strange request but I assure you I have a very good reason. There is some kind of damaged nerve in my middle fingers above the joints furthest away from the hand. There is a little bit of inflammation around them making them kind of puffy looking but not quite like an allergic reaction to a bee sting. They are causing me to break out in hives, have nerve headaches, rashes and trouble with sleeping/memory (I think this is coming from the nerve headaches because they are constant). I am also getting some small spontaneous muscle spasms and skin crawling, not restricted to the area around the hands (arms, legs, even my eye lids twitch involuntarily sometimes). By skin crawling I mean strange "electrical" feelings on my skin. The only thing that lessens the symptoms is by applying chemicals that numb or soothe nerves to the inflamed area of my fingers. Also, if the opposite happens, like something strongly irritates the nerves (for example when I spilled a little bit of bleach on these areas), new inflamed areas showed up on other fingers that did the same thing. They always appear above the joints. They do not heal unless I numb them. I know this because I have had this before a good couple of years ago and was able to get rid of them by numbing them. The problem is I cannot remember how I did it. Lidocaine, bupivacaine, and tetracaine all reduce symptoms from being almost unbearable to something resembling manageable but they do not heal it. If I recall correctly something was done to block synapse receptors (like acetylcholine? I am guessing). Having skimmed through a neurology textbook the 'caine' chemicals are usually sodium channel blockers and I believe they do not entirely interrupt the signal. I would like to know if there is a way to entirely interrupt the nerve signal in my finger but not permanently, like hitting an off switch and then turning it back on. If I can't entirely do so, I would like to know how close I can get to doing so and is typically used to do so? If there is a topical solution I would be very interested in this. I am scheduled to see both a dermatologist and a neurologist (I already saw an allergist who tested me via blood draws and referred me to these, the tests were uninteresting despite the hives), however I remember having this problem before and solving it using this method. I'd be very interested if anyone knows if there is a name for what this too. I am very aware that this seems like a very strange case, please give me the benefit of the doubt if this seems improbable. I forgot to mention, there is actually no notable pain at all in the region I am describing on my fingers, although it is slightly harder for me to finely control my fingers (they shake very very slightly when I try to be precise with them, but I can notice it). But no pain in my fingers. I would also be interested in what tests I should ask for when I see the dermatologist and neurologist should it come to that. The nerve headaches make me fatigued and I tend to forget a lot of my own symptoms because of the difficulty concentrating. It is like I am being made to feel miserable, artificially. I cannot stress enough that I cannot seem to get them to heal unless I numb them (even though I feel no pain in the skin). Thank you for considering my request. I have a math and science background so I do not mind if you want to use technical words although I only have a passing familiarity with how ion channels and synapses work at the moment (and solely because I am trying to figure out how to block the synapse so I don't require surgery).
1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
363281 tn?1643235611
Hello~I am glad you are going to see a Neurologist soon, you definitely need some help in these areas. I am surprised that the allergist could not help, but then, if it is neurological, they wouldn't be able to. I wish I could give you some ideas.

I will suggest something, it may not help, but then it may. I would see a chiropractor, they can help with pinched nerves and other nerve related issues, one might also be able to help your other issues. The first thing he/she will do is take x-rays of your spine and neck to see what vertebrae are out of alignment and could be pressing on nerves; after that, he/she will discuss the findings with you and the treatment plan.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease