Tender spots on head

My pain on my head seems to be more noticeable at times then others but the pain is constant. I have had what I called "soft spots" for a while and they hurt if you touch them. It has just been recently that they have seemed to go from "only certin sections of my head" to the whole top back of my head. Now when I lay in bed with my head on my pillow my head will hurt (more often then not) because of the pressure touching them I guess. I cant afford insurance. What do you think is wrong with my head? Do you think its serious?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i have tender sore spot on the back left side of my head, 3rd day now, no head aches yet, but recently put my back out which is still not right, im begining to think there is a connection between the tender sore spot on head and back injury
Helpful - 0
z22
I get the sore spots on my head too. They are in random places.  I have found that taking a shower helps a lot, and if I am at work and cant take a shower, I just go wet the area of my scalp with some water.....and the sore spot subsides.  I would say that for immediate relief try the water on the spot treatment.......... its worked great for me!  by the way- I always linked the spots to stress or having hair up for too long... but after I read the comment of the bald guy- I guess I can rule out the having hair up for too long thought :-P
Helpful - 0
I've been told they are "neurodermatitis" caused by stress.  I get them off and on but can't find a relation to times of stress.  I was thinking maybe diet related but that doesn't pan out either.
Helpful - 0
I think you are correct. I Ave this too on the back right side of my head to the mid right side. Just sore spots. It feels good when I massage them. But, they can feel tender when I lay my head back on the pillow or touch it there. I have been under a lot of stress lately and this is when it seemed to start. Plus I started dieting and losing weigh. So I think you have something. It's probably related to diet, stress and the lack of water in your body too
In the past few days I have experienced this unusual sore patch on my scalp. No itching - no redness associated with dandruff or psoriasis etc. The paid is NOT internal to the skull like a headache. The soreness is confined to an inch or two diameter area centered maybe 3" above the right corner of my right eye. It is a soreness that is sore to the touch or to movement of the scalp (as in upraised eyebrows). The pain is underneath the skin in the connective tissue.  About a fourth of the descriptions in this forum seem to be describing this particular pain. Never had it before. KInd of odd.  WIll dig deeper into quixotic1's suggested link (above). :

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/neuro/messages/34390.html
Helpful - 0
Hi, I think you're correct in that it is how one sleeps on their hair and that can affect the hair follicles direction. Mine does this and I have noticed it on the off days of washing my hair when not styling it.

Thanks for mentioning it!
Helpful - 0
I've been having this head/scalp pain for a week now. It's in the back of my head and feels good when I massage it with my finger tips. No drugs make it go away. I've had these for years. Just a small localized area but always the back of the head. I usually wear my hair up in a bun and thought this was the reason. Seems to still hurt when I wear it down. Can last for weeks. I wake up at night and it hurts. Feels like someone is pulling my hair in that spot. A real annoying pain.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community