A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.3k Members

What could be wrong with me? Neuro and physical symptoms

Hello,

About four-five months ago I started getting really bad "brain fog" along with some physical symptoms. It took me a while to be able to pinpoint what some of the brain fog entails: inability to concentrate, can't retain new information, can't do anything cognitively difficult, slower reaction time, memory issues, am not processing things normally. (if you're wondering how I am able to write all this now, I have dozens of my medical bills and tests out to help me).

Examples of how bad my mental cognition is: hard to make toast, hard for me to figure out my way through public transport and airports (I am a very frequent traveller but find myself almost unable to get through it, alot that was familiar now seems so unfamiliar and foreign--I think this is the scariest part, forgot the meaning of a lot of words)

All that then caused insomnia and anxiety, then social anxiety and depression and apathy. This is because I am unable to hold conversations, make conversations, understand what is being said, ect. So I have completely pulled myself out of social situations (which is VERY odd since I am (was) such an extrovert).

Here are the other symptoms that I have had on and off for the past four months (not in any order, and I am not sure which are related):
-lightheadedness
-sensitive to some lights and sounds
-menstruation is completely out of whack
-random night sweats
-very dry skin/itchy skin
-rashes/break outs (worst skin i've ever had, and i'm only 24!!)
-bad sleep
-tingling/random pins and needles
-random ringing in ears
-very sensitive to cold
-very sensitive to alcohol (I stopped drinking completely now)

Something that I just realised two weeks ago, although I am not sure how long it has been there for, is muffled hearing. When I swallow, my ears don't clear. However, they clear when I close my nose and push out, but then get muffled right away. I also have had swollen lymph nodes in my neck for a long time. These two things could be related or might not be.

I have seen two endocrinologists and two holistic doctors and am not exactly sure what to do next. Here are my tests that I have done:
-thyroid panel -- all okay (I am hypothyroid and have been taking armour for the past 4 years)
-Prolactin - a bit high but okay
-LH - normal
-Estradiol - normal
-Cortisol -- was very high, given hydrocortisone for 4 weeks, now it is all okay
-DHEA -- normal
-Testeosterone -- normal
-CBC : all okay, with a few just out of the normal range:
Hematocrit, MCV and MPV all a bit above
MCHC a bit low
-B12 -- normal (but given supplements and shot anyways)
-progesterone -- a bit low (taking this for past 3 months now, but only difference is I get my period on a regular basis now)
-vitamin D - was low, doc gave me a three months gel
-Pregnenolone - very low, started taking 30 mg but then got heart palpitations and stopped
-folate -- normal
-serotonin -- normal
-homocysteine -- normal

Apart from all of these tests, I have crossed out: gluten free, candida, lack of fish oil, low magnesium calcium and zinc,

I am not sure where to go from here.. I am out of a job right now because of this. I hope someone on here can help steer me in the right direction because I am so very lost. I am also too young and healthy for this to be happening to me!!

One last thing that I thought I should mention is that I had a bad vaginal infection just before this started happening, which I took strong antibiotics for. Not sure if this is related, but worth mentioning.

Thanks for all your help. Peace and love.  
0 Responses
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease