Neurology Community

facial numbness

I am a 46 yo male - believe to be healthy - no major medical complaints.  Past few weeks, I have noticed along my left cheek (imagine along a goatee if there was one), a numbness sensation.  The sensation is constant.  Yesterday, my wife thought the area I was pointing to looked like scar tissue though there have been no physicial trauma to the area (the skin has a subtle difference from the corresponding area on the other side of my face).  Suggestions?
Hi there. The various causes of facial numbness on one side of the face are diabetes mellitus, peripheral nerve trauma, stroke, bells or lower motor neuron palsy, acoustic neuroma and trigeminal neuralgia. Consult a neurologist if there has been any such recent development in your husband. Dental consult is also warranted to rule out trigeminal nerve involvement or any dental cause of numbness. Take care.