Neurology Community

pineal cyst

I have a history of migraines.  In the past 6 months I have had a headache everyday of different intensity.  I mean every day!! In the past 3 months, I have had associated extreme lethargy at times, gait issues and left sided visual blurring.  I have never had this issue in the past with my migraines.  I have had multiple MRIs of the the brain which have all been negative,  The last negative one was 2008.  However, I recently (this month) had a repeat MRI due to my symptoms and there was noted to be a 14 x 7 x 7mm pineal cyst present without hydrocephalus.  My neurologist is going to have it repeated using contrast. How serious is this and how important should this be on my doctors list to attempt to find a solution as to what will be done.  I know I am not dying, but having a headache every day of your life is no way to live.  I am on verapamil for my migraines.  I have a prescription for Midrin but I hate it because it leaves a residual effect that I feel "heavy all over for hours after I wake up", and I take Zomig which helps the most intense of  the migraine, but I still have the headache..  I am frustrated and tired.  I have no life and it is difficult trying to maneuver the internet to find information because the computer makes my head aches worse.  I know this seems really jumbled but that how my life has been for the last 3-6 months.  What options do I have for some type of relief?
How are you? I understand your concern regarding your headache and MRI result. Pineal cysts are cysts of the pineal gland which is responsible for making melatonin. These may be found by chance in  CT or MRI brain imaging and usually do not cause symptoms and stay the same size over time.  In the rare circumstance where a pineal cyst does cause symptoms, it may cause headaches, hydrocephalus, eye movement abnormalities, and Parinaud syndrome. Treatment is usually only considered when a cyst is causing symptoms which include surgery to remove the cyst  or endoscopic treatment. It is best that you discuss this with your doctor for proper evaluation. Your medical history, results of other diagnostic tests and overall health are important considerations. Aside from medications, headaches may also respond to complementary and alternative medicine such as acupuncture or biofeedback therapy. Take care and do keep us posted.