Neurology Community
45k Members

uncontrolled epiletic seizures

My daughter in law recently hospitalized for new onset of seizure disorder, she is a patient at the University of Md in Baltimore, Md ... doctors are unable to stop her seizures.. she has been put in two drug induced comas and is currently on the respirator and they are using versed currently to try and controll the seizures.. she is on dilantin, phenobarbital and klonipin...testing so far is negative... she had a brain biopsy (results showing scarring)????? mulitple MRI's (showing small strokes)... ctscans and has 24 hr EEG monitoring... mulitple labs studies to rule out infections ...any help would be appreciated
Hi there.

I'm sorry to learn what happened.  From the way you described the event, it seems that she really has a primary seizure disorder.  Other areas to look at would include toxicology testing of the blood to pinpoint any toxins or harmful drugs, testing for electrolyte levels since changes in these can really trigger seizure reactions.  Viral culture can also help identify if there is a viral infection most commonly HSV.  Other causes would include organophosphate poisoning and other chemicals (that's why a toxicology screen may be in order).

I pray that she would recover from this.  Wishing you all the best.  Regards and God bless.