GLUCOSAMINE/CHONRIDIN for FLUTD?

what are your thoughts on giving glucosamine/chondrotin  supplements to help acidify my cats urine?
He has FLUTD...struvite crystals...found on routine exam with never a blockage.
I've read I can give him 500mg for acute stage 2 weeks, than 250 mg for intermediate stage and 150mg longterm if needed.
the glucosamine for its antinflamatory action and an offensive player.
chondrotin as a offensive.

Do I run the risk of over acidifying his urine and causing oxolate crystals?
Or is this safe to use along with the home made cooked diet of pork loin that I posted about. ???
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've never heard of glucosamine acidifing urine however I will look into this evening because my cat is on a 250-500mg dose to help with arthritis and the 500mg dose is the recommendation on the bottle.

I would try a cranberry extract first because it targets the urinary system directly and is very successful at helping urinary health. Fish oil based omega 3 supplements are also a better anti-inflammatory that will also strengthen the immune system (stones can have a bacterial infection aspect to them).
Helpful - 0
Hi Tammy thx for the reply!!!!!

I maybe wrong on the fact of Cluc/Chon as an acidifier(?) that was MY assumption.

I do know it does have anti inflammatory action and helps build and support/protect the mucosal surface/GAG layer of bladder. and helps with spasms. and
the Chonridoin keeps GAG from breaking down...its more for defense.
thats whats recommended on a holistic site.

I guess I got the idea of it being an acidifier is from someone in the UK who uses it for that purpose, if I understood correctly(?)..its sold under the name Cystaid.

I would be glad if it didn't cause acidity...I don't want to run the risk of over acidifing.

I do NOW have him on a homemade diet with lots of water and meat.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Nutrition Management for Pets Community

Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.