New food for cat

Am getting cat slimmed down for avoidance of diabetes.
Feeding her best feline friends canned from merrck  full can if 3oz , half if five.
After 12hours she gets half cup dry.
She eats merrick bff fast.
This pet food has one ingredient mostly tuna.
Am I doing ok in feeding it to her?

Weight is at 17 pounds ( slowly slimming her down)
sex female 3-4 yrs old
Last vet check march 2011.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
OMG for a 17lb cat she needs much more than you are feeding her....thats like eating 500 cal. a day for yourself, I support you cutting her down gradually but not so fast teresa. she needs her calories for energy, cutting back so drastically will cause health problems..
HOw much was she eating previously?

Merrick is a good brand of food, however fish diet isn't good to be on for long term, can you alternate with chicken or beef as well?
Helpful - 0
i think i had her at 1 or 2/3 cup dry. i think i ought to have her stay at 1/2 but perhaps switch her to a protein based dry cat food.
Or maybe just have her at 1 cup, or at 2/3.
may also have to get her on a reduced fat cat food
am feeding her purina one salmon and tuna, switching her to purina one beyond, then gradually to evo reduced fat.
in that area for reduced fat i have gotten her Evo reduced fat dry cat food
im going to get her merrck before grain canned and dry.
will try her with chicken , turkey as well as beef.
And i got her chicken and salmon newmans own as well.

Helpful - 0
would getting her started at 1 cup and then very very slowly move her to 2/3 be a careful beginning of her diet with dry?
Helpful - 0
sure, just reduce the amount slowly...I am also sending you a site where you can read alot more infor on nutrition and good brands of cat food, Evo, Merrick, are both very good ones however I do strongly recommend feeding cans rather than dry, the dry is so low in moisture(even if she drinks lots)...and the low moisture can lead to many health problems, cans are so much better for them...and try to feed small meals but at least 2 per day..3-4 is even better if possible.
heres the site. good luck

www.catinfo.org
Helpful - 0
if i have to get it lower via size from one cup to 2/3 i will use a teaspoon to get it lower a bit
Helpful - 0
when i also saw her vet check report in march 2011, her weight was at 19 pounds.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Nutrition Management for Pets Community

Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.