food allergies and diabetes what to eat????

adopted beemer in january, found out diabetic 3 weeks later, doing well on insulin and low carb diet. now he has allergies and is itching and losing hair on face and neck. he is a 11 lb rag doll and i feed him prescription canned hills md and began to give him evo dry food for treats as he missed his crunchies. i believe it is the evo as it has dairy and fish along with pumpkin and peas and assorted health food. i am taking him off that as i cant afford any more pet visits. he has cost more than a bmw payment in the first month hence the name but i love him. u can see a photo at my profile. thx, babs824   WHAT TO DO?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hi babs, I am not a Vet however I will try to give you some advice for poor Beemer. you are right in thinking its the diet causing his hair loss and itching. it could be either of the foods, dry food isn't a good choice for any cat, its like eating at mcdonalds....lol esp for males as they run the risk of UTI's and crystals in their bladder...that being said EVO is one of the best dry foods out there, but all foods have different ingredients and dry has many preservatives too.
Hill's presc. diet isn't a good food, and its expensive. I will give you a link to a site from a Vet who has very good info on diabetes and what to feed, she also has a link on that site naming the best commercial canned foods.
There isn't any Vet on this site currently so if you need more help please visit us on the CAT FORUM...good luck to you both.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Cats/show/3?controller=forums&action=show&id=3&camp=msc

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felinediabetes

Helpful - 0
thanks alot. i think i will go with a high protein canned cat food with minimum ingredients and no fruit or vegies like carrots or sweet potatoes or pumpkin. i see cats are carnivores and have no use for vegie or fruit carbs. i will have to get rid of his crunchies and am working on dehydrating some meat for him to crunch on. meanwhile i have found an acupuncturist who cured my good friends dog of allergies and he even liked the process. at least the vet said his blood sugar is down to normal one month after diagnosis and treatment with insulin/ lantus and low carb food. so that is a start. i will deal with the allergies in a more eastern and holistic fashion. thx for your help, babs
Helpful - 0
good for you, I'm sure your kitty will do very well.

Its the STARCHES that cats have NO need for in their diet. however there are some good vegetables that provide needed fiber and pumpkin is one!! you can even add abit of that to his canned food if it doesn't contain any, good for constipation issues..
good luck and post on the Cat Community to let us know how its going ok..
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Nutrition Management for Pets Community

Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.