No. There are natural sweeteners that are safe that aren't sugar, such as stevia, but all artificial sweeteners can have unwanted and often dangerous effects.
Artificial sweetners taste sweeter than sugar, and less would be added to coffee to create the same sweetness. They also contain less calories. When taken over a period of time, or probably in large amounts, there are some accompanying side effects associated with each of these sweetners.
For example, sugar alcohols such as mannitol and sorbitol cause diarrhea in high quantities. Saccharin has been linked to increased risk of cancer.
In addition, aspartame,the most common sweetner, made use of in carbonated drinks such as diet coke has been linked to migraines.
Bottomline, products containing artificial sweetners should be taken in moderate amounts.
The best artificial sweetner I know of is called "Xylitol" it really is not artificial either. It is derived from the bark of a tree and it taste great. It is great for diabetics, actually even helps it, plus, it is also healthy for teeth as it helps prevent cavaties.
As to the other sweetners, no way, stay away from them like the plague, they are NOT safe and some have some dangerous side effects.
Mannitol, sorbitol, and xylitol aren't really artificial sweeteners, though you do have to do some fancy footwork in the lab to isolate sorbitol or mannitol. Saccharine is. Psyclamates were. Splenda is. Xylitol is actually quite healthful, and it is a good antibacterial agent particularly for the teeth and gums. Stevia helps regulate blood sugar, as does mimordica, a Chinese herb. Licorice and cinnamon have also been used as non-sugar sweeteners. Lots of options. But organic cane juice is natural, too, and in small quantities isn't that bad. Honey is natural and in small quantities isn't that harmful. Depends on why one is avoiding sugar. But I personally stay away from the true artificial stuff.
Thank you all for the information. It is greatly appreciated. I'll pass it on to my children.
I don't understand the popularity of "diet" drinks. They contain more chemicals than the drinks that are not "diet." I would never buy that stuff.
My son told me that Splenda is safe and that if I find anything to prove otherwise, he'll quit using it. He uses SEVERAL packets in his coffee and drinks diet drinks and energy drinks several times a day. Anyone have a good response for him? Thanks.
Splenda is not safe. Why? Studies show that Splenda (Sucralose) is 98% safe. But what about the other 2 %?
The findings are scary:
Heavy metals - Lead
Triphenylphosphine Oxide (hazardous chemical )
Methanol (a flammable poisonous liquid)
Hope this helps
Thank you so much for taking the time to write with the information about Splenda. I honestly don't understand why people have to drink "diet" sodas and sweeten their coffee and tea with artificial sweeteners. I sometimes chuckle when I see someone eating really high caloric junky food and drinking a "diet" drink. When I question friends, relatives and co-workers about why they aren't drinking water many reply, "I hate drinking water." A few days ago I saw a nursing mother drinking a "Go Girl" energy drink:( I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners and rarely partake. I use a Brita filter and drink a large bottle of water every day.
One Thanksgiving a young fellow brought over a pumpkin cheesecake made with artificial sweeteners. You can imagine where that cheesecake ended up after he left. No one wanted to touch it!
Thank you again for the information. If anyone has anything else to add, I'm happy to learn more about this topic.
And eavlyyn left out the potential for allergies. Heck, sugar's a lot safer, all in all, though I wouldn't recommend it, either.
A great alternative to sugars, both natural and artificial, is Stevia. It comes from a plant and has no bad effects on the body. Like artificial sweeteners it is sweeter than sugar, and you can use less of it. It's good for cooking and beverages alike. It comes in powder and liquid extracts, even flavors! Love it :)