I'm never hungry & seeing/smelling food makes me sick

I used to always love food. I never had a problem with it. I'll admit that I was and still am a picky eater, but for the past 6-7 years, I've never really been hungry. I seemed to have forgotten what hunger feels like.

I have no problem with my wieght or with the way I look. I'm active because I play sports year round. I'm currently 17 years old and this never being hungry thing tends to get in the way of many activities. Being that most people my age enjoy going out to eat or pigging out at a friends house, it poses many problems for me.

I can't eat big meals at one sitting, and I must force myself to eat small snacky stuff. Some times throughout the day, if I see or smell food, it can make me sick to my stomach. I've been to the doctor concerning the stomach issues, but the only thing they came up with was that I had a little more acid in my stomach than normal. That wasn't what was making me not hungry though.

I went to a psychologist just to see if it was something to do with, well...me. But nothing came out of it. It is quite frustrating to deal with and nobody seems to understand. Some people even take it as rude when I don't eat. I guess I could live with the eating snacky stuff throughout the day thing, but my biggest concern is me being sick to my stomach most of the time.

I feel sick every morning. The sickness usually tapers off by the afternoon. Some people I've talked to said to try to eat breakfast, since I never do/can. I've tried to force myself, but it jsut seems to make matters worse. Are there any people out there with some of the same symptoms? Are there anyways to stop myself from feeling nauseous?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Marijuana may be a blanket solution. But I would not advise an ambitious 17 year old kid to start smoking up every day just to eat. There are numerous studies that support the idea that it is best to hold off on smoking cannabis until you are in your twenties. I am a 21 year old male, and I have experienced the symptoms you are describing off and on over the past few years. I noticed mainly when I tried to quit using cannabis ironically enough. However, with some discipline, making sure I am drinking lots of water and getting physical exercise, and forcing myself to eat atleast something at structured times (breakfast lunch and dinner) I found myself able to re-habituate my body back into a healthy eating routine. What was suggested to me was that I carry around a bag of almonds with me during the day so that when hunger pains arise you can satisfy them immediately. (ignoring it seems to make it worse in my experience and sometimes we just get too busy to eat a meal). Perhaps try some lighter foods such as a whey protein shake with yogurt and fruits. (i am sure you have had shakes before seeing that you are an athlete.) The shakes can be a great way to start re-igniting your appetite. You can also increase the amount of calories you consume by including peanut butter or oatmeal. Try investigating some appetite stimulator. They say cinnamon is a good choice to get your appetite stimulated. I personally found water with lemon was very effective.

If cannabis is your solution then so be it. I have smoked cannabis since I was 13 years old and my testimony is that I would advise younger people to wait until they are in their 20's purely for the effects it CAN have on a developing emotional and psychological intelligence.. Not to mention its denominational side-effects.

Good luck man, I hope you find a solution that works for you!
Helpful - 2
Denominational, not denominational in the context of cannabis symptoms.
Demotivational*** (dear lord auto-correct)
I'm turning 21 in June and I just quit smoking because I was finding myself only eating or even sleeping only when I would smoke. The withdrawal (depending on how frequently cannabis was used; for me it was everyday) it was and still is a rough couple of weeks readjusting to "normal" habits. Everything described in the post above are symptoms I've found in myself and it sucks to go through. After reading your post though it makes me stay positive, last year I had taken a tolerance break and went through these same feelings. At that point in time as well I had caused myself to get a stomach ulcers which made it worse for me when my appetite faded. I wasn't used to snacking all the time and keeping up with what my body needed. Going through this the second time and reading your comment defiantly makes me feel a lot better and I just wanted to say Thank you for sharing! The almonds is a great idea and I totally agree with your advice that smoking marijuana isn't the best solution when wanting to cure the feeling of nonhungry. It adds to a cycle and puts you in a position where you might make yourself even more uncomfortable because you then become reliant on not just you having to eat but you having to spend more money so you can smoke before everytime you eat. Best advice would defiantly be your comment! I wish you all the best!
I had this exact problem for years! From age 12-21 I had an awful relationship with food. I couldnteat very much and I never had an appetite, I had to force myself to eat so I wouldnt get sick (I wasnt super thin, average weight). I would be especially sick in the morning a lot of times even if I didnt eat anything. I wasnt losing any weight though. After years of this I found out I have hypothyroidism and stomach ulcers!! I honestly believe that it was stomach ulcers that made me so sick, they put me on a medicine that decreases the acid in your stomach and a liquid coating medicine that helped heal the ulcers. It took weeks of this medicine to help, then some came back and I went on it again. But it has changed my life, I finally am hungry again and enjoy food! I dont hate food anymore because it used to make me so sick. I hope this helps someone! All you have to do it go to your PCP and tell them you think you have stomach ulcers and go from there! There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Helpful - 1
I always feel the exact symptom like all of you. Eventhough i'm don't know anything about medical but i'm pretty sure it is because of gastric ( stomach acid). Most people who don't know anything will ask you to eat but i don't. 1) What i do is i just take my mood, make the urge to vomit so that we can vomitted the acid from stomach. The acid usually make people feel dizzy. 2) Go to place or make yourself warm and cozy. Relax and lie down. 3) Put any oil or balm and massage at the left part of stomach ( you will hear gas sound), forhead and neck. 4) Go or sea something you like as to garden, sea and mountain cause it has a lot of fresh air and green to.
Helpful - 1
Anyone still reading this very old post, please do not do what the above post recommends.  The reason you're told to eat if you have excess acid is because it gives the acid something to work on other than the lining of your stomach and intestines.  Vomiting increases the inflammation caused by digestive problems, especially forced vomiting.  It forces the acid to flow up all the way through your system and out your mouth, but your stomach then just produces more and now it's empty of anything to soak it up.  The ways to deal with excess acid without medication is to use plant remedies that repair the lining of the digestive tract and reduce the inflammation, as well as control acid production gently so the stomach isn't forced to produce more which it will need every time you eat protein or minerals.  But never force yourself to vomit unless you've swallowed something toxic.  To the above poster:  please, so some homework and learn some biology before telling people to do something that could well harm them.  If you don't know anything about a subject, it's fine to not comment on it.  
I feel the same way and I am 20 almost 21 I am having trouble just going to work cause I feel sick cause I work around food I hope to find out soon and I hope I am just pregnant and nothing worst.
Helpful - 1
I have same problem. Stop eating fake food such as slice cheese that is plastic that is not food. Stop eating white rice that is plastic too, don't eat parmashuan cheese that is wood chunks, and alot of other food i fake as well. This world is posioning us anymore foe money and half of us are allergic to trees and eating that food is killing us. Anyone can have stroke to soon, anyone any size any age can die because the secrets they hide feom us is poisonous. You could have food posion. Or could have food allergy and have loss of senses and that could cause smelling strange things that arent there. Only God knows.
Helpful - 1
Im 17 yrs old and I've been having the same problem lately but with headaches and fatigue.when I went to the doctors they all said that nothing is wrong with me except having iron defiency. Just the thought of food makes me sick. When I finally decided to just get though with it, I got as far as making it and losing my appetite at the sight of it no matter how delicious it looked. No one understands what it's like. Hopefully we'll all find an answer to our problems one of these days
Helpful - 1
I'm 23 suffering from no appetite & when I do get hungry the food makes me nauseous & I'm totally turned off to eating. I'd  seriously much rather starve than eat b/c when I attempt to force myself to eat, it won't stay down.  Or if by chance it does stay down. I'll be full off 3 bites literally. This is terrible
Helpful - 1
Haha its called food trauma, maybe you dont eat breakfast(not hungry symptom) or everymorning you see the same food(brain tells trauma)
Helpful - 1
Ive also been feeling this way too. Im 17 and lately, ive been getting the strong desire to eat but when i go downstairs to get food, all the food doesnt seem appealing. I go back upstairs, only to come back downstairs and repeat in a frustrating cycle. I just want to eat! All ive eaten today was a pancake. The only thig that works is when really good food is presented to me, i change my mind. For the past 2 months ive been feeling sick to my stomach. Like nausea, especially in the morning when i eat a regular sized meal the night before.  Doctors also said it was just acid build up and prescribed me Omeprazole but they dont work
Helpful - 1
Marijuana is the answer lol I got prescribed the same thing and it didn't work for me either.
I have to smoke a bowl before I eat, and it takes away the burning nausea, gives me an appetite, I actually enjoy my food and hold it down. if I'm experiencing any nausea after I eat I smoke a little more and I'm fine. Since I started smoking I've gained 10 pounds (which is good cuz I was only 90 ) And rn yes it is illegal but as soon as you turn 18 youcan get a medical marijuana card from your doctor for it.
I've been having this problem for the past few months, everything makes me urge and feel like im about to throw up except sweets. Sweets are the only thing I seem to be able to eat without urging or being sick. It might be a psychological thing for me though and maybe for other people too, the main reason I think this is because on Sundays its at its worst. I cant eat anything on Sunday without wanting to be sick. I still would like to know why I feel like it and the reason for it because you know, as much as I like sweets I dont think I can keep eating them to stay alive.
Helpful - 0
this happens to me too, I think it's psychological because I'm a really picky eater and always have been, but I love the food that I do like, but all of a sudden I started feeling sick at the smell of potatoes and beef and things like that.. not all the time though, it's really inconsistent with the smells, but no matter what I eat it makes me feel sick!
Wow this sounds like me .... every sunday i cant eat anything or monday as soon as i wake up im throwing up stomich acid. I have trief every stomich gravel or calmer or vitamins you can think of and NOTHING works. Its making me so frusterated
You should try cannabis it may not legal but its the best way. Its used in some countrys to treat anorexia and nausea (suffered by aids and chemotherapy patients). Cannabis is one of the worlds greatest medicines and can be used to treat hundreds of illnesses.
Helpful - 0
i get the same, but even the sight of food make me want to be physicly sick, the smell on food is horrible and im getting headaches as well as pain in my stomach, the doctor said thers nothing they can do, they gave me some medicine for acid reflex and it made it worse, they gave me 2 rounds of different tablets and that didn't work either, it just made things worse. i just want to be able to eat like a normal 17 year old, help.
Helpful - 0
Hi I just recently started up with the same thing... I'm a 17 year old girl and everyone thinks it's strange how a food-lover suddenly looses her appetite... Most foods and smells make me feel like crap, especially greasy foods. The only foods I can eat is hot tea with lots of sugar and sugary pastries. I can eat other things, too, but only in nibbles. When I skip a meal and then eat later, even when it's a small amount, the feeling is terrible. I get a wierd form of heart burn with it too. It acts like heart burn but instead of a burning sensation, it's cold and I feel like I drank a gallon of water. I still get the burps like normal heart burn but other than that... yeah... I've had a past with anxiety and depression, but the last time I was really anxious, I couldn't fill my stomache fast enough so I doubt it's anxiety. Hoping for some advice on what it might be and how I can eat again. Thanks~
Helpful - 0
I have had these same symptoms for the past year. After discussing this issue with my doctor, a neurologist, a nurse practitioner, and 2 psychologists, we have come to the general consensus that it all relates to my depression. I am so focused on my issues dealing with depression that food is the last thing on my mind. However, the longer I go without eating, the sicker I feel and the harder it is to eat again. The best thing you can do for yourself is continue to stay active, reach out to others, and maybe see a psychologist on a regular basis to figure out where the problem is really coming from. Good luck to you!
Helpful - 0
Cannabis is the only way. I'm a 21 year old full time student/ part time worker. I have had the same symptoms now for about 4 months. Food grosses me out. I get super sick to my stomach and If I don't smoke then I don't even think about eating. I also work at a resturant, when I'm in the back the smells of all the different foods make me sick to my stomach. I never have energy, it honestly is a struggle everyday. I just wanna go back to eating normal and having a normal appetite. I am super nausues in the morning from  6-9am usually. After that I dont have nausia, I just have 0 appetite.
Helpful - 0
Your body is wise. Listen to it. If you don't like the smell of cooked food- don't eat it. If you don't like the smell of meat- don't eat it.
Eat raw vegetarian foods- they smell great, your body will love them and you will be healthy as long as you learn a little about raw food nutrition and listen to your body.
Helpful - 0
Eat when u hungry, don't when you are not. When you feel like eating choose wholesome healthy food. Love your body!
Helpful - 0
I second the getting your zinc levels tested comment. I used to have a lot of off and on years where my appetite was either normal or non-existent. Being thirty now I can clearly see that during the times my appetite was gone, I was also eating a poor diet (mostly because I was poor, lol) and often partaking in other unhealthy habits like smoking and drinking. Ramen noodles don't exact top the nutritional charts and I believe I read somewhere that smoking and drinking can negatively affect your zinc levels as well, so I had a triple whammy going on. Zinc supplements helped restore my appetite and as a bonus it helped clear up my face.  I also find that it relaxes me (like a high spaced out feeling) but I don't think that's a common or expected side affect. Of course, the long term solution was to eat healthier whole foods, quit smoking and limit my drinking.  I wouldn't recommend zinc supplements as a long term solution since they can deplete other elements your body needs. If you work to create a healthy lifestyle, your body will get all that it needs in order to function well. If you want to try zinc out to see if it helps, I'd recommend 50mgs daily and cutting them in half to 25mgs if they cause you any discomfort (tummy problems). You MUST take WITH food because it will absolutely cause an upset stomach otherwise. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
as of now, my friend is going through this. where she doesn't have a good appetite and doesnt like the smell of food. so she's wondering if its a disease or if its just her. if anybody has any information, id like to know so i can help her figure out what's going wrong. thanks in advance.
P.S. im telling her if it has anything to do with depression or if its her vitamins. she takes her vitamins but she doesnt know if she's actually depressed or not.
Helpful - 0
I seem to have the same problem as a lot of you. I have always been athletic with a healthy appetite. I would eat 3main meals a day and snacks. The past year just the thought of food turns my stomach or watching someone else eat makes me sick. I can cook big dinners but I can't eat them. I can't even eat an apple or a sweet. Literally nothing! What the hell is wrong with me??? I'm not losing weight which is odd and I'm not trying to. I get a constant pain in my stomache just under the rib cage on the right. Have been to the drs and had scans but they can't find anything wrong so what is wrong??
Helpful - 0
I have had the same problem for the last 13 years. I used to have a normal appetite, loved food. During a period in which I was financially strapped, I didn't have the means to eat more than one meal a day, if that. I lost a lot of weight, and since then, I have had problems with my appetite. My stomach can grumble, but I don't have a desire to eat. I have normal thirst, but the thought of eating makes me sick. If I try to eat, it takes me hours just to finish one small meal. It is so depressing. The only thing that helped me was a drug my doctor prescribed years ago that helped to stimulate my appetite. I haven't had insurance for a while now, so I haven't been able to get the meds anymore.

I have always had depression, so I don't think the depression is a cause of this. Something went haywire with my body during the time I wasn't eating, and it has never righted itself. I am so desperate, I think I may try cannabis, but the few times I tried it in the past, I don't recall it giving me an appetite.  
Helpful - 0
I'm the same age and I eat really balanced and healthy. I never drink soda or eat junk food anymore. I feel horrible and I don't know why :(
Helpful - 0
I HAVE A POINT! I was raised knowing the importance of whole natural food and i havn't had a problem with my weight, but within the last year or so I have had the problem where i will not get hungry for 2-3 days and during those days i force myself to munch (1 snack size chip will last me the 2-3 days) then after that, out of no where it feels like a knife is stapping me in the gut. That is when i know i have to get something in there and the ONLY thing that will not make me gag is Mirical whip and white bread, and there is no nutrition in that. The only time I fell like I can really eat and enjoy food is after enjoying cannibis. The way it is being treated as a "narcotic" is truly terrible. From what i have read in these posts is that people have gone to the doctor and recieve no results.I belive that cannibis is our medication for this and you can disagree with me and put all these "facts" in my face, but i guarentee you have never even tried it with a good frame of mind. Every one wants the pills and artificial drugs to make them better,and if you do that is alright, modern medicine is amazing and helps many, but you are also ok with all of the side effects that drug is going to give you to treat this ONE problem. As long as you do not have that stupid frame of mind from all of  comercials,ads,ect... have told you, you will enjoy food again. And to all the nay sayers, i take a multi vitamin,a multi mineral, potassium,magnesium,liquid B12, Royal jelly and zinc,and i take them all within two days. Most of those are supposed to help with appetite. Help is right infront of you, we have suffured too much and people have come close to death beacuse of this.
Helpful - 0
Wow, this is so old. I don't even remember writing it. Man, that was a bad time.

I'll give an update.

I will say, overall, I'm doing better. Not as sensitive to food. Went to a specialist and the doc said I had MALS (Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome). It was a relatively new concept. Stating that most of the people who have it are young, athletic girls. I fit the description. The ONE key effect I didn't have was pain. But everything else fit the bill. Did a scan and found the ligament was indeed cutting off an artery, a staple in their findings.

I underwent laparoscopic surgery to correct it. The before and after pictures they showed were astounding. That one artery was really squished, and they relieved the pressure by cutting the ligament.

So, if anyone is having pain or anything similar to that, this is a new concept you should at least bring up to your doctor. I was actually a part of the study.

Unfortunately, the surgery did not help me much. I think it works well for the pain, not the general nausea.

Went on for a year struggling after that. Finally got so depressed from the condition that I signed myself up to see a therapist. I was not depressed before the nausea. Depression came from having the nausea and not being able to do "normal" things.

We talked and came to the conclusion that my anxiety was probably the contributing factor. I didn't have bad anxiety when this first started (when I was 17). I functioned just fine. Didn't want to go to school, but wasn't anxious about it.

I eventual gave Paxil a try for anxiety. At around 30 mg, I felt MUCH better. Really, that was a high point in my life. I no longer dreaded going out to eat.

The doc who was giving me Paxil was mean, and for various other reasons not related to the drug itself, I stopped taking it. It's been around 5-6 months now without Paxil, and those sick feelings are coming back. Despite trying to think positive and doing breathing exercises from the therapist, it is really starting to take over again. It *****.

It's a bit of a trainwreck. My anxiety is heightened by these symptoms, and these symptoms are heightened by my anxiety. A vicious circle.

I'm now considering going back to the doc (a new one that isn't mean) and trying the prescription meds again. I feel that I stopped the Paxil too soon. I saw improvements, but I wasn't yet set in my life. Anyway, that's what has been going on.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Nutrition Community