Is this normal?

I think I have an abnormal fear of getting a STD or blood born illness. I think it started after I found out my brother has hepatitis. I hate touching anything now. Using public restrooms is a nightmare and now after my brother uses the washing machine I run many loads of towels before I feel safe to use it. I feel like it is taking over my life. I know that this fear is irrational but I feel like it is getting worse...
Sounds like you need to get some help. Untreated OCD almost always worsens and your world will grow smaller and smaller. Go to this website and find a therapist, and talk to your dr. about the possibility of medication. And read, read, read! Educate yourself on OCD. Start with the articles that I  have posted.

Good luck!

http://www.ocfoundation.org/
"Hypothetically, primitive cleaning and checking behaviors are "hard-wired" in the thalamus".

from: http://ocd.stanford.edu/about/understanding.html

So in short, it is normal for everyone to verify anything that maybe harmful.

Just think through it rationally. for example, a quick search on google about STD from toilets:
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307293_2,00.html
"MYTH: You can catch STD from a toilet seat"

No logical reason for it take over your life. Take care. Message me if you need any further help.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  Any time I hear the words "taking over my life" I know it is now time to act.  Do you know how your brother got hepatitis?  
I'm not sure I have much advice, but I am dealing with the EXACT same thing as you - Same exact fears and I even like to run a load of bleach and soap with no clothing in the wash before I use it to help me feel as though there is no "hepatitis" in the washer (though I don't even live with anyone who has it that i'm aware of). I would suggest seeing a therapist and/or psychiatrist. That's what I am doing currently. My therapist diagnosed me with OCD, but says it can be treated. I would get help before it gets worse and also just so you can have a peace of mind.
sharing needles when he would use heroin :(
thank you, and best of luck to you

You are reading content posted in the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community