Mixed Martial Arts - Laceration

Firstly I apologize if this is in the wrong area. I've been training in mixed martial arts for about six months now. My trainer recently offered me a spot in an upcoming fight but I have some questions. I have a fear of needles, If I am cut ,ie, a facial laceration, what are the chances it will need to be stitched? Could it be glued provided I was clean shaven? What if it is around or in the eyebrow? Is there any way to avoid the needles, both the freezing and sewing needles?

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Glue is the only way to go then. My son would have gotten that treatment, even without a clean-shaven head the other day but only if we had gone to the ER. At least in our area only hospitals use and have the glue type and expertise available. Not the walk-in clinics. Try to find out ahead of time who uses this method wherever your fights take place.
Helpful - 0
I am ninety-nine percent sure this post is a joke from somebody whose calander shows april first, but I will take the bait.

(1) In a laceration, to insure a clean wound without scars, an two incisions are often made, producing a clean line of skin, which is then sutured. Healing will take place without this procedure, but it will result in a scar.

(2) A butterfly bandage is often used as an alternative to stitching. Sanitize the area with bactricidal soap. When the skin is closed dab on crazy glue, obtainable in any drug store. This glue was invented for medical purposes.

Of course, this advice is not sanctioned by a physician or Med Help , and of course I would go to a medical doctor and consult three astrologers before paying any attention to it.
Helpful - 0
I don`t know if the OP was joking but I wasn`t...

We have a new family physician and he suggested the medical glue when my son came in with a  scalp injury that was not very deep but a fairly long cut. He wanted to spare him the extra pain of the needles and stitches.

It was the first time I heard of this method but it has apparently been around for a while in some countries. It is not household glue but a sterilized version of it. That glue does not get applied AFTER the wound is healed but right away. It gets applied to the wound edges only and only takes a few seconds to keep the wound closed. The physician explained it to me - but then we couldn`t get the glue anyway...

I read later though that it is not good if the glue ends up IN the wound rather than only on the edges. So in hindsight I am not sure if it is the best choice to use it.
Helpful - 0
It is exactly the same glue. No difference.

The glue is sometimes used to fasten an elastomeric strip across the gap, much in the way of a butterly bandage, with the glue applied to both ends of the strip on clean skin.

The problem is, if there is a laceration, and the edges are not cleanly cut and precisely aligned, there will be a scar.

I have used this glue for veterinary purposes, with good success.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Occupational Health & Safety Community

Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.