Occupational Safety & Health Forum

Occupational health & safety risks related to bleach inhalation

I would like to know what health and safety concerns are related to bleach inhalation for a person who works at institutional laundries that washes restaurant towels. The work environment is filled with a strong bleach smell. I understand that health impacts depend on many factors, such as concentration of the bleach and ventilation of the environment, etc. Unfortunately, I am unsure of the above factors. But, generally speaking, what possible adverse health effects may follow for a person who works at such a place? Thank you.

As you mention in your original posting, health risk and health effects depend on many variables.

* Can you provide a bit more information about the work environment?
* Is there any "dry cleaning" of the laundry?
* Can you provide the name(s) of the products that are used for cleaning and bleaching the laundry?
* What kind of building do you work in? for example, is it well ventilated?
* Are you required to wear any protective clothing or equipment?

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.