platelet injection

I am 40 years female and have sufferred tennis elbow for 18 months from playing golf in the weekends. I had two cortisone shots and have done three months' pysical therapy plus cold laser treatment for a month. I have felt some improvement but the pain is still there. I'd like to do the platelet injection but don't know how painful the procedure will  be and how long I have to wait to go back to golf course.

Thanks,
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections have become increasingly popular for treatment of a variety of soft tissue disorders.  These include tendonitis, tendonosis, and partial tears of tendons.  Early reports are quite promising.
The process involves taking a syringe full of the patients blood and spinning it in a centrifuge to concentrate the platelet portion in the plasma.  This concentrate is then injected back in the patient.  Sometimes, ultrasound is used to guide the needle into the injured tendon. Although tendon injections can be painful, they are not excessively painful.  Patients often report a burning pain that occurs several hours after the injection.
However, the PRP injections have been very successful, so the good result may be woth the temporary pain.
Helpful - 2
A related discussion, Is the PRP injection right for me? was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, platelet injection was started.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Forum

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.