Orthopedics Community

10 year old girl with pain in back of knee

I have a 10 year old girl with pain behind her right knee. She can bend her knee just fine, but cannot extend it out fully without pain. This has been going on for almost 3 weeks. I have taken her to her Pediatrician who sent her to an Orthopedic who is sending her to a Physical therapist. She has had an x ray and they said nothing has shown up. She is on crutches, she cannot walk without them, if she tries she is hopping on her left foot or limping badly. The doctors don't seem to know what's going on and I feel like I'm getting  the run around. It's very hard to see your child in pain everyday and not be able to help her. She is crying and getting depressed about this saying she just wants to a normal girl. Please help!!! I feel so lost and confused. What is wrong with her???
The first thing that comes to mind is a Bakers Cyst (popliteal cyst), named after a British surgeon William Baker. What happens is excess synovial fluid from the knee joint is forced to the back of the knee. This bulge is referred as a Bakers cyst. There are many different approaches to fix this: Medication, Aspiration of the joint, Arthroscopic surgery and Cortisone injection.

It would not show up on x-ray, but would on a MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging). Hope this helps! jd1963
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.