Orthopedics Community

Patella tendon repair

I am a 30 year old male recently retired professional athlete.  Currently 9 weeks post op patella tendon repair. I am experiencing a lot of itching and splotchy redness around my fully healed incision. I used a new skin cream on my scar. The joint has been frequently hot and swollen which I understand is a normal part of the recovery. The itching worries me though and I would like to rule out infection.  How long post op are infections still a concern?
Do you still have the itchiness and redness?  Do you have any discharge from the incision or fever?  Do your symptoms coincide with the use of the new cream?  If so, stop using the cream and go back to using what you used before or something very mild with no additives.

In addition, contact your doctor to let him/her know about this.  They may want to see you to make sure you are not dealing with an infection.  Let us know if you have any additional questions.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.