Avatar universal

Severe Ankle Pain after walking

42 year old white male, 6ft, 245 pounds. For more than 30 years, I've had this issue.... when I walk or stand for a significant period of time, the area under my left ankle bone hurts so badly that I can barely walk or stand. The right ankle also hurts, but not like the right.

If I should sit down for a period of time or sleep/wake up the next day, the ankle hurts so terribly - almost like a sprain. I literally need to crawl around the floor because the left ankle will support no weight. Gradually, I can work it out and, with some effort, hobble around. By day 2, its a little better. By day 3, nearly OK. The key is to never stop... if I stop, it locks up and I'm done for. If I'm on vacation and doing a lot of walking, the key is to just keep going day after day, and eventually, while I'm still limping, its like I'm working out the muscle.

I've tried better shoes, exercising the muscle, inserts for flat feet... the only thing that has ever worked is my pediatrician gave me muscle relaxers when I was kid. It seemed to make the ankle muscle not tense up. It was the first time I remember a walking vacation not being in pain.

I asked my GP about this recently and he refused to help, telling me to see an orthopedist. At this point, I feel this getting worse.

I've lost a little weight and hoped that would help - and I have more to go - but I don't think weight is the primary issue. I've always had this problem regardless of age or weight ... at least 30 years. One doctor at one point said that it seemed like the muscle never developed enough elasticity.

At this point, who can I see to help with this issue and would anyone have any suggestions of curing this issue?

2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Helpful - 0
1711789 tn?1361308007
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include inflammations, degeneration, injuries to ligaments/ tendons etc. It would be best to have this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you could try some tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS and see if these seem to help.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Orthopedics Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.