Osteoporosis Community
117 Members

Risks during pregnancy with osteoporosis

At my annual followup with my sleep specialist in November, I noted concern that I've shrunk 3" and asked if it was probable that the cause was due to disc degeneration.  Three years ago, at age 32, a neurologist told me I had the level of degeneration he would anticipate seeing in someone in their 70's.  The sleep specialist said, instead, it sounded like I I had some advanced degree of osteoporosis and needed to follow up with having the bone density test and find out treatment options.

I haven't done that and found out on the 15th of this month that I am pregnant.  Today I called to make my first appointment with an OB/GYN and gave the above information to the receptionist who explained I'd be referred to a high risk OB to provide the remainder of my prenatal care when I go in for my initial visit.

What kind of risks am I potentially facing during this pregnancy and what special care/treatment might I be looking at?
Sounds like you have good, active medical care so you're already ahead of the game! But do get the BMD done soon, so that it can also be done again on a later date as a follow up, after you have your baby - to see how you managed the additional stress.

Giving that your body already needs additional vitamins and minerals due to your osteo issues, your baby will place an extra load on your system. The baby's requirements will probably consume about 10% to 15% of what you take in. But I'd discuss this with your doctors first and not just start taking a bunch of extra vitamins, calcium, etc.

Hope things go well with your little one.
hi....risk during pregnancy with Osteoporosis in the vertebrae and hip can cause serious problems for pregnant  women. A fracture in this area occurs from day-to-day activities like climbing stairs, lifting objects, or bending forward. Signs of osteoporosis:

Sloping shoulders
Curve in the back
Height loss
Back pain
Hunched posture
Protruding abdomen                                                                           Calcium. Although this important mineral is important throughout your lifetime, your body’s demand for calcium is greater during pregnancy and breastfeeding because both you and your baby need it. The National Academy of Sciences recommends that women who are pregnant or breastfeeding consume 1,000 mg (milligrams) of calcium each day. For pregnant teens, the recommended intake is even higher: 1,300 mg of calcium a day.
Good sources of calcium include:
low-fat dairy products, such as milk, yogurt, cheese, and ice cream
dark green, leafy vegetables, such as broccoli, collard greens, and bok choy
canned sardines and salmon with bones
tofu, almonds, and corn tortillas
foods fortified with calcium, such as orange juice, cereals, and breads.
In addition, your doctor probably will prescribe a vitamin and mineral supplement to take during pregnancy and breastfeeding to ensure that you get enough of this important mineral.
Exercise. Like muscles, bones respond to exercise by becoming stronger. Regular exercise, especially weight-bearing exercise that forces you to work against gravity, helps build and maintain strong bones. Examples of weight-bearing exercise include walking, climbing stairs, dancing, and weight training. Exercising during pregnancy can benefit your health in other ways, too. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, being active during pregnancy can:
help reduce backaches, constipation, bloating, and swelling
help prevent or treat gestational diabetes (a type of diabetes that starts during pregnancy)
increase energy
improve mood
improve posture
promote muscle tone, strength, and endurance
help you sleep better
help you get back in shape after your baby is born.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches