Ovarian Cysts Community

Complex ovarian cyst with blood flow

This website seems fantastic for general support and information. I was wondering if I could have a little but of advice. Back in early February I had a ruptured cyst and appendicitis. I had surgery to remove my appendix and drain fluid from the cyst. I have PCOS. Whilst going for an US they found a growth in my right ovary. Since then u have had four scans both US and Internal. They have found a mass on my right ovary. It has grown 2cm in the space of 2 weeks. The specialist that saw me has said it is a complex cyst with both cystic and solid components with blood flow. I am being sent for a CT scan and she said I will be having surgery to have it removed. She has said to me that she is unable to identify whether or not it is benign. I am now panicking. Has anybody else had this before and turned out to be nothing serious? I have a strong family history of breast and uterine cancer and only recently my cousin was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. Safe to say I am worried.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Most ovarian cysts, even complex ones, are benign. Of course, in women with an increased risk of ovarian cancer (such as BRCA1+ or BRCA2+), an ovarian mass would have a greater chance of being malignant. You said you have a family history of breast and uterine cancer but did not mention ovarian cancer (OC). If you do not have a genetic predisposition for OC then your lifetime risk is less than 2% (1.3% to be exact) - http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/ovary.html.

How big was the cyst at your last u/s?

Some complex cysts end up going away on their own but if they get too large or have a number of suspicious traits, two being thick septations and papillary projections, they typically need to be surgically removed.

Unfortunately, FAR too many women lose an ovary or ovaries when all that should be removed is the cyst (cystectomy) if it is benign (as determined by the frozen section done while in the operating room). Some surgeons do not have good cystectomy skills or do not want to take the extra time for this more delicate surgery. Did your surgeon explain her plans for surgery?

I had a 9.5cm complex cyst that was benign per frozen section. My gynecologist over-treated me in the worst of ways. Instead of removing just the cyst, he removed BOTH ovaries and my uterus. All my organs were healthy...I just needed the cyst removed. I am living with the reduced quality of life and increased health risks of hysterectomy and ovary removal.

The uterus and ovaries work together our whole lives to keep us healthy. They are not just for reproduction. Studies show the importance of these organs. The uterus is essential for anatomical integrity (bladder and bowel positioning and function), skeletal / figure integrity (alignment of spine, hips, rib cage), sexual function, and ovarian hormone production.

Removal of any part of this system (an ovary, the uterus, tubes) can permanently disrupt its normal functioning. Studies show many increased health risks associated with ovary removal or (premature) ovarian failure. Premature ovarian failure (POF) is sort of a misnomer because the ovaries do not shut down at menopause. They merely shift from their reproductive / exocrine functions to their endocrine functions. Having an ovary removed can throw you into this situation.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you in getting treatment that restores your health versus causing more problems.
I have borderline mucinous cystadenoma of the ovary. My consultant just rang me and told me they were the results of what they have found so far and that the final "hard copy" of the biopsy results aren't back yet and they have still got some tests to do. He said its not benign, but it's not full malignant...that it's borderline. What does this even mean? I now have to wait till my consultation with the surgeon for him to tell me what this actually is. I've just been told at the very least my left ovary will have to now be monitored. So confused.
Sorry for the long delay in response. I've just had open surgery to remove my right ovary. I had a CT scan which also showed abnormalities on my left ovary. During my operation they took a biopsy from my left ovary and a biopsy from the tissue around my stomach as well as a washing? Not too sure what the means. I was operated on by an oncologist and am now waiting on biopsy results.

The consultant said that if it is ovarian cancer it is more then likely stage 1b. I didn't really take much in once he had said that. My mind has been a complete mix of emotions. Now it's just this horrible waiting part. X
I am sorry you are faced with this. I hope all results come back benign! Please post back and let us know.
Hi! I thought I would let you know I finally went to see my consultant. I was staged at 1a - non invasive cancer. (Borderline ovarian cancer)
Very confusing. Scans and bloods every 6 months for 5 years. Hysterectomy was advised but I politely declined. I'm only 25!!
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm so sorry to hear that! I had a 9.5cm mucinous cystadenoma. There was no mention of it being borderline so I assume it was not. Post back after you meet with the surgeon. I will be thinking about you through all of this. Hugs
COMMUNITY LEADER
Thank you for the update. I'm sorry you're dealing with this but glad it was borderline and caught early. I hope your other ovary stays healthy!!