I am sorry to hear you have a hernia but at least you finally have answers to the pain you've been experiencing. I have not had a hernia (or don't think that is the cause of my occasional twinges of pain/discomfort) so cannot answer any questions about surgery. Hope all goes well!
It turned out to not be a hernia! I had a CT scan and there were no visble problems with my organs, but I had a lot of free fluid in my pelvic cavity. My doctor said this was probably due to another cyst on the other ovary rupturing but I'm not so sure. He says my pain should be better....it is not. So then, he tried giving me a steroid shot, thinking the pain may be inflammed or irritated nerves. I was hesitant, but agreed. It did not help. He keeps ignoring my very swollen abdomen, saying it is not related. When I called back to let him know the shot didn't help and that I wanted to address the swelling, the nurse came back and says he wants to schedule a follow up in 3 weeks!! I declined, I can't wait that long and asked my family doctor to refer me to someone else. I now have an appointment with my a new gynecologist on Thursday.
Hoping to get answers soon...this is so frustrating!
Glad it's not a hernia. I hope you get answers from this new gynecologist.
My new Doctor thinks it is abdominal wall pain from entapment of a nerve in scar tissue. He was very thorough and performed two "tests" to confirm. The first was having me raise my head and legs (tensing my abdominal muscles) to see if pain changed or was relieved (it got worse) and injecting me in the worst spot with lidocaine (immediate relief). these two tests point to abdominal wall pain. I may also have endometriosis or scar tissue causing the bloating, but he is convinced the pain is abdominal wall pain. I also have a 2.5 cm cyst that the other Doctor didnt tell me about, along with the fluid in my pelvic cavity. He wants me to see a pain specialist to see if the pain can be reduced, but he is not confident it will be completely relieved. He wants to wait on any surgical exploration for confirmation of endomitriosis or scar tissue, not wanting to cut me open if it wont help. So, I will see the pain doctor first, then follow-up.
I am sorry to hear it may be nerve entrapment. I hope you get some relief without having to go through another surgery.