Pain Management Community
9.82k Members
Avatar universal


Hi Guys,
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but one of my friends came to me and said she has been losing her appetite lately and has had shocks and body pains.  She is in 9th grade and 14 years old.  I told her to see a doctor and she said she already did and the doctor said it was nothing and that it will go away but it has not stopped.  I told her to go again, but she said her parents don't have time for her.  Any suggestions on what I/she should do?
3 Responses
4851940 tn?1515694593
There is not much you can do, as we do not know what is causing the problem.

She should go back to see a doctor - preferably a different one that will listen to her.

Her parents have to make time for her.  They have a duty of care to their child.

The other thing that she can try is to see the school nurse.
Avatar universal
"...try is to see the school nurse."

That is an *excellent* suggestion! I have seen/read countless posts by young people who's parents don't have time for them, and I feel so sorry for them, there's not much you can do. Sure, there's Urgent Care centers all over town, but those places need MONEY, and usually they need some 'permission' from a guardian, and then there might be subsequent 'trouble' (e.g. parent screaming at their kid "All you do is cost us money! blah blah blah").

It never occured to me that usually in just about ANY school, they have some sort of nurse!

VERY good idea!

I wish there was a way to "vote" up an answer, or award someone when they give a good answer. Jemma, you win my vote!
4851940 tn?1515694593
Thank you jerry.

It did rattle my brain, because I too hate to come across a child that is not able to approach their parents or feel that their parents have no time for them.

And then it came to me that there usually is a school nurse and that would not cost anything.  

I would imagine that the school nurse would be able to give advice as to the appropriate course of action to be taken, may be even write a letter to the parents about further medical examinations.

I do hope the school nurse can help.
Have an Answer?
Top Pain Answerers
Avatar universal
st. louis, MO
317787 tn?1473358451
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches