1689663 tn?1390843360

fused wrist and pain

Hello all,
so good to find a site like this! so heres my situation, i have RA, a fused wrist after surgery as a child, i am losing movement in my thumb, i have calification in my left hip and my pain is progressing. I ve been to my internist who is the only MD that wants to help me and give me medication which is vicodin 4 x a day, it used to help. percocet helped but the headaches from them are terrible. I also had tons of cortisone injections, I became a vegetarian that helped with the pain believe it or not, i have done yoga, but the only thing that really helps with the pain and gets me through the day is pain meds, i have had 2 appointmnets in the last week and was told I dont need pain meds at one site, the other office was a PA and he doesnt give it, i have to wait a month for the actual doctor to see me. I dont understand what the big deal is, they have no problem billing
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
547368 tn?1440541785
Hello TRA,

Welcome. Your post is so familiar! The journey through Chronic Pain is not an easy one. Finding a physician who will recognize you are in pain and treat it effectively can be extremely difficult, time consuming and frustrating.

Prescribing opiates is a big deal to some uneducated and misinformed physicians. Add that to the fact the the DEA is "watching" every opiate RX and scrutinizing their every move. Many of our physicians are rightfully frightened of reprimand or worse, losing their license. So finding a competent and compassionate physician that understand pain management is key. It doesn't have to be a PMP but in most states that's what it will take.

Have you consulted a PMP (Pain Management Physician)? If not I would request a referral. You may benefit from a slow release opiate, one that will better control you pain over a longer period of time. Short acting opiates like Percocet (oxycodone) brings you short term pain relief but then spike, like a roller coaster. Rather then becoming immune to the prescribed opiate it's just as likely that your condition has deteriorated over time.

Vicodin is more effective for my pain then the oxycodone... however that works better for other pain source in my case. It's a matter of finding what works for you with a physician that is willing to take the bet approach, which in my opinion is trial and error. You may only require an additional medication with the Vicodin to potentiate it's effects. You may not require a stronger opiate but again it's all trial and error.

You're right, they have no problem taking your money. It's frustrating. It's my guess you just haven't seen the right physician. Hang in and keep searching. Let your PCP be your guide, if he/she is willing to do so.

I hope you will keep us posted... and be active in our community. I'll look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Good Luck and Take Care,
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Hi TRA2594,

First, I want to welcome you to the Pain Management Forum and let you know that we are glad you found this Forum. I want to let you know that there are NO Doctors on this Forum, only CP  {Chronic Pain}  Patients that help each other with our OWN expertise and experiences that we have developed through our OWN CP Issues.

My heart goes out to you when I read your post!!  To have gone through what you have and from such a VERY young age upsets me greatly.  There probably hasn't been much time in your life, when you weren't in some level of pain.

I noticed that you said your internist is the only Doctor that is willing to treat you.  Since you suffer from RA, I would recommend that you start with a  Rheumatologist and let him lead you from there.  I have Osteoarthritis in every joint in my body and I'd NEVER been to a Rheumatologist UNTIL I moved to AZ and my Internist sent me there immediately.  I took ALL of my records with me and after a 10 minute visit he called a PM (Pain Management) Clinic and made and made an appointment with a PM Doctor for me.  It took about 3 weeks to get in to see him as they are very busy (as are MOST Doctor's that are REALLY good).  It was WELL worth the time that I waited.  In the mean time the Rheumatologist gave me pain meds to help me until I could get in to my new PM Doctor.  I have been my PM Doctor for over a year now and my pain has been GREATLY relieved.  

My PM Doctor sent me to my Orthopedic Surgeon that corrected my BOTCHED hip implant and that helped me a great deal also.  That is something that I wonder if you have considered (or is an option for you) as far as your calcified left hip is concerned.  I HOPE that you will check into this as it MIGHT be an answer for you.  I DON'T know that for a fact but HOPE that you will check into it.  :)

As Tuck said, a slight change in your meds might be the solution but I REALLY believe, as she does, that it would behoove you to see a PM Doctor.  The DEA has tied MANY of these Doctor's hands and the PM Doctor's in MOST states are the only ones that are willing to help us CP Patients with any type of medications.  My PM Doctor put me on stronger meds and then we have also done a few procedures that have helped me a lot also.

I wish you the VERY best and HOPE that you will stay active on the Forum also!!  PLEASE keep us informed on what you find out.

We will be looking for you update. I wish you the VERY best.....Sherry  :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Pain Management Community

Top Pain Answerers
Avatar universal
st. louis, MO
317787 tn?1473358451
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches