Gandchild not feeding ?

I would like someone's advise,  my 9 wk old  granddaughter has not been feeding, crying a lot, and restless her parents have 2 house cats that are urinating about the small apartment and they have never been outside could this cause her syptoms she has attended hospital and had a lumber puncture but her parents are not telling the doctors about the small living space or anything just that she not feeding, they have now changed her food again onto a high protein formula this is the third change of food for her,  we are at a loss of how to deal with this, i have taken her to stay with me and her feeding increased and all was fine until she went home again.  Please help This has been going on since she was two weeks old and I am totally confused with it
It's possible the child has an allergy, but it might actually be something entirely different.  Do you know how her parents are taking care of her?  Your care might be better.  Not saying this to start a fight, just to get your awareness up.  Offer to have the baby stay with you again, and see if things improve.

One thing that might help a lot is to give the baby some infant probiotics.  They are available at good health-food stores.  If you think the parents are not being 100% honest with the doctor, you might want to simply put some in the baby's formula next time she stays with you.  It helps the baby's stomach to get the "good bacteria" it needs to be able to digest food.  Once it's in there, it should continue to be there.

Thanks annie,  but have taken her over twice now for over a week, and she was feeding fine, and was happy,   but within three days she was back to crying,  they brought to hospital again and they diagnosed silent reflux,  but I am afraid that they are not cleaning their small apartment ie cats litter properly and the ammonic smell is probably causing a lot of discomfort in a small child,  as outside she is fine  happy little girl  this is breaking my heart
Buy them a high-quality air cleaner.  Not one of the cheapies, I'm talking about those that cost in the $200 range.  It could help.
We had this issue with our first whom is now six.

At home she would be the best baby ever! Only cried when she was wet or hungry.  At my mother's on the other hand, (whom had 4 cats that did their business around the house ) she would cry non stop, would be hungry but wouldn't eat, my mother loved watching her of course but too old to put up with the screaming.  So we stopped taking her over for a while thought she just liked being home. I ended up having to be hospitalized for a week so my mother watched her. She had issues eating the whole week!!

Longer story short, her Dr said something in animal urin effects their lungs with breathing and causes other discomforts. So the pets were the problem.  Told my mother her cats must go . She wasn't able to visit us due to being disabled.  So the cats went.

Just let them know their child is more important,  and if they are going to gave them they need to care for them better or let them go.  Apartment size could have something to do with it? But... we had one cat but cleaned after him often and we lived in a 1 bedroom.  Very very I mean very small apartment as it was our first place.
Cat urine can not only adversely affect the baby's lungs,  but a very strong odor of urine will affect her mood,  even if her lungs are fine.  Are these cats using a litter box,  and so vigilant changing of the litter would solve the problem,  or are the cats just peeing on the carpet and walls and not contained?

I agree with Annie's concerns - they may not be trying as hard to get her to eat as you are,  or the problem could be the urine or other concern.  
You said the cats are indoor cats, and are "urinating about" their small apartment.  It's hard to tell what that means.  Indoor cats are obviously going to urinate indoors, one would hope in a catbox. (Especially in a small apartment, people have a lot of motivation to keep the box clean.  One might occasionally smell the box if the cat has just used it, but that's about it.)  If your use of the word "about" means they pee randomly on the walls, or the catbox doesn't get cleaned and the whole place smells like strong ammonia, that's obviously a very different thing.  

Sometimes people who  don't think cats should be this close to babies will mistake the baby being near cats as the problem when something else is actually the problem.  Other times, the people living in the apartment have gotten so inured to the smell of urine that they don't know it's there any more, and the whole place reeks of ammonia such that it makes a visitor's eyes water. That situation really should be taken seriously as a health risk for everyone who comes in, especially the baby.

If there is no noticeable, pungent ammonia smell, then all you would need to be concerned about (regarding the cats) is the possibility that the baby has allergies. If they have ruled out allergies and you don't think the smell rises to the level of ammonia, there is the possibility that the baby's feeding issues come from a different issue entirely, such as issues with their efforts to feed her (or their lack thereof) or even a physical problem.

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Babies (Newborn to 1 year) Community