13 year old boy

How do you motivate your child to care more about school and joining clubs or sports?  My son seems to not be interested in anything at all these days.  
Is he depressed?  Just wondering ...
He is in puberty, a period when the mind leaves the body. Boys seem to get much more focused a year or two afterwards. And why should he play sports and join clubs if he doesn't want to?
I encouraged my 14 year old step son to take up martial arts and it did the trick.  He shows people far more respect now.  He does say to me, don't annoy me, I can kick your *** now, your old and we do wrestle.  He always makes me tap by wrapping his legs around my body in an awkward position and causing me pain. I usually get camel clutches and back torture at the end like a sucker punch.  

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Teens (12-17) Community