My daughter is outgoing, but can't seem to find the 'bestie' she desperately wants

My 14 year old daughter is socially out there, but can't seem to find that supportive friend she is desperate to have.  She has tried everything I know of, kind, funny, going with the flow.  She can make friends - sort of - she thinks she is part of a group, comes home raving about a great girl she clicks with - and then a few weeks later, she will go and wash her hands to come back and find her group has moved to the Library, and none of them seem to think they should wait for her or tell her where their going.  She does not feel they see her as that nuisance girl who won't get the message - she is really sensitive to that - but there doesn't seem to be anyone who will go with her to her locker, or say 'where's Livvy (not her real name), or see her as an integral part of the group.  She seems to be an add on?  We do the sleep overs; social occasions; but she is never called first, or seen as essential to the group's dynamic - whichever group she is with at the time.  This has been going on for about 4 years - does anyone have any advice for me?  I am at my wits end watching this confident, happy girl slowly shrink inside.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Leexxie, my 15yo daughter is experiencing exactly the same issues. She can make friends and be a part of a group but never seems to be central to the group. She's the girl that also gets left behind, the others just seem to forget to mention that they are moving.... We moved countries 5 years ago and she has been to 3 schools. Her recent school move was 4.5 months ago and she seemed to have clicked with 2 girls. I worried at the time that 3 was never a good no.... And its happened again she is the one left out. She cant understand what she has done wrong. Its destroying her confidence and truly upsetting me. Can anyone help me with advice that I should give her. Does she really need to see a counselor, is the problem as her end or is this normal 15year old behaviors within groups ???
Helpful - 0
My 13 yr old girl is going through the in between friends too. It's very hard to watch and I wonder if I should talk to her councilor at school . She always sits alone at lunch and never has a partner for anything. I think she is really getting down. I think we need to be available but not to get too involved.
Helpful - 0
My daughter has been very structured at 15, dance lessons, piano, theater, cheerleading however, she never really can make that one best friend.  She had a long distance friend for 3 years who would come down and visit every other month.  They texted all day and night and he met a girlfriend in his hometown.  She has been overly depressed, and I pushed her to make new friends which were not academically smart as she was.  I learned the hard way.  I would rather her be a wallflower, read books, study for school then be on social media.   There are a lot of groups out there for girls her age.   My daughter attends them regarding what state you live in.   Teen groups for  girls are the best suggestion.  She has thrived in this group, each Friday night and they go on field trips as skiing, etc.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Teens (12-17) Community