Any tips on how to get him into his own bed?

My son is 14 months old. He has slept with me from the night he came home from the hospital. He was diagnosed with GERD and had a few episodes at night where he would choke and stop breathing, so I kept him in my bed. Now it's getting to the point where it's not only uncomfortable for me and my husband, but for my son as well. His GERD has went away - we are episode free since 9 months old! He doesn't have the room he needs/wants to toss and turn (which he does a LOT of) and my husband and I haven't been able to cuddle or 'do the deed' when we want to at night time. I'm also tired of being kicked, headbutted, smacked and everything else during the night by him. He has made my nose bleed several times, given me bruised ribs, a black eye, busted lip, lol. As of right now, my son doesn't even have his own room. We are moving in less than 2 weeks where he will. I think moving will give me the perfect opportunity to gradually introduce him not only to his own room, but to his own bed. Do you think doing both of these at once will overwhelm him? Do you have any tricks or tips on how to do this? He does still take a binky and I'm currently in the process of trying to get him to sort of "select" a lovey (security blanket) in hopes that it will help me. It's currently a giant stuffed mickey mouse. How long do you estimate this may take? Please, any help, suggestions, opinions - anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
yeah, I would let him fall asleep with you on the couch and then bring him to his own bed. At least you might get some relief for part of the night. This might not be ideal, but you could try putting a mattress in your bedroom for him. He might like not being far from you and at least he would stop hurting you.
Helpful - 0
Yeah that can ruin his teeth & I don't understand if this is her child why it seems like you are doing all the work getting him off the bottle, etc. That should be her job too not just yours. That will continue to make his teeth worse if she keeps giving him bottles at that age. After they are 1 they should be off the bottle, any doc or dentist or even parent will tell you that. It's not your fault at all those, it's the child's mothers. take care.
Helpful - 0
My son has slept in the bed with my quite often. I would say that your son would be overwhelmed with moving into a new place & having to sleep in his own room all at once. My advice would be for the first few weeks, put his bed in yours & your husbands room so he will get used to sleeping in his own bed. Then what I would do is after a few wks once he seems to get used to sleeping in his own bed I would move his bed into his room just for naps so that he gets used to sleeping in his room. Then I would work on getting him to sleep in his own room at night once he is used to sleeping in his room for naps. It's a little at a time. When I moved into my own apartment & got back with my son's father I had to transition my son to sleep in his own room since he didn't do it all through the night very often when I first moved. There wasn't enough room in my twin bed for me my fiance now & our son. We got him to take naps in his room then worked on him sleeping in there at night and he did well with it. I hope things work for you.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the advice, ladies. I've actually decided to go ahead and let him keep his binky for now. Once we get into our new place though and he loses them, I've decided not to look for them. If he wants them, he can look for them himself.

I've recently gotten news that my 2 1/2 yr old cousin will be pretty much living with me during the week once I move. He will be going to his mom's house for a few hours out of the day each day, then on the weekends. I'm having a really tough time with this because he still gets up 2-3 times a night for a bottle. My son took himself off the bottle at 10 months old and has slept through the night every night since. OH, And my cousin also sleeps in the bed with his mom, still. It's going to be tough breaking Alex (my cousin) off the bottle. I've done it myself a few times before but my aunt comes in with this attitude that it won't hurt him or anyone else if he continues taking a bottle and she gives in. Alex sees his mom undermining me and thinks it's okay for him to do it, too. I've had him for almost 4 months now and after the first week of having him, I had him off the bottle. It lasted about 2 weeks, then his mom gave in and gave him one. I had him off again about a month later and after just 5 days, she gave in again. The last time I had him off, he was off for almost an entire month and again, she gave him a bottle. So, I kind of gave up on that but I feel so bad for the little guy. His mom does it because it's convenient for her and honestly, I think she also does it out of spite towards me. Now he constantly has a bottle in his mouth and his teeth are starting to arch horribly. So in the next 2 weeks, I need to work on getting him OFF the bottle again and maybe even going to the extremes of removing all bottles from the household (since my son doesn't take one anymore) so that his mom can't give in again. Then, I need to work on getting him in his own bed because I refuse to have him in my bed. This is going to be hard because of my aunt. I suppose if she just isn't willing to cooperate with me that she'll just have to find someone else to watch him.

Anyways, sorry for rambling. I finally got a few moments of "me" time (first time in 4 days!) so I decided to come down and check the posts. 12 days until I move! I'll keep you ladies posted. Hope all is well.
Helpful - 0
I forgot to mention margy is right about crying it out too.. I had a REALLY hard time with it and spent many nights soothing my son after only 1 minute of crying, and now sometimes he'll still get upset before bed when he's in his crib but it does get easier and they do get upset less often and for shorter amounts of time but consistency is key, and so is not letting him get his way and come back to bed, that does tell him that crying works!
Helpful - 0
My son slept in bed with us while he was breastfeeding and not sleeping through the night. It was a terror trying to get him into his crib which I started doing maybe around 4 months or so. I agree with Margy that you don't want to overwhelm him in the transition to a new house, new room and own bed. My son still has trouble going to sleep on his own at night without fussing and he is 21 months!

But what worked for me is settling him down at night before bed, for a while I would lay with him on the couch at bed time and we'd watch tv until he fell asleep This will allow him to still fall asleep with you but not in your bed. Then you can put him in the crib at night after he is a asleep.

Then I started doing this until he was almost asleep in the living room then bring him to his bed.

Now what I do is take him in his room at bedtime and rock him in his chair with a sippy cup until he is JUST about asleep and then put him in his crib.

Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Dont do too many things all at once, ,it will over whelm him, the pacie could go now whilst he is still with you, there is no easy way for that it just' goes' get him a nice sippy cup, I would leave the change of sleeping arrangements till you move , and then make a choice to still leave him in his crib whilst he gets used to be in his own room, or do the lot all at once ,again its a lot. Which ever way you choose he isnt going to like it, you will have to be consistant, you put him to bed you read him some stories, tuck him in and leave the room, you can leave a hall light on and door open,he wont like it ,he will yell, now the hard part..... if you know he is okay you have to leave him to yell, if he sounds out of control and you are concerned , go in and soothe him, however if you do that too much he will continue, as he knows that gets you in there. One thing you really need consistancy with, is him NOT going back into your bed as that is sending him the message if he yells loud enough he will get his own way.I think if you stick with it it takes a few days, if you give in and trust me many do, it will take as long as it takes till you do this ..mind you on a cheery note once they reach 13 they want their privacy,and some Families choose to have family beds and stay together till then,thats also okay its a matter of choices. Good Luck let us know how it went .... .
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community