Really scared!

hi, I am really scared about this Parkinson's disease running in my family. Please anyone respond with good or bad comments. I just know that it is most important to be treated as soon as possible. I need some advice as to what to do and how to handle my Doctor.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Not to worry shellywill! Parkinson's Disease is not hereditary. :o)
Helpful - 0
Unfortunately, this is an older view--prior to enough scientific research done to corroborate the congenital possibilities.
Parkinson's and Epilepsy as well as other neurological manifestations are linked to specific genes and indeed inherited. I would encourage readers to follow information on this site (among others): http://www.genome.gov/10001217

In the meantime, if one is "scared", get scans and early diagnosis if possible, learn the facts, and enjoy life!

Cheers,
Mary
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parkinson’s Disease Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life